Contribute
Register

Reboot to Windows shortcut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sumsaykra-z said:
karacho said:
Simply use ChameleonPrefPane to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist. It's pretty smart.

Sweet. Thanks. And yes, you're right about boot camp. I guess I should of responded to the original post already..lol.
You're welcome :D

I wanted to report back a particular....glitch...I had using this program. I noticed after installing ChamelonPrefpane and doing a few edits that in my com.apple.boot file their was a key for Restart Fix marked as "Yes". I know I never manually put that in because I never heard of a restart fix. So I went ahead and removed the key all together. Obviously from it's name it had something to do with a restart. So I tried to restart my system and it would attempt to restart by shutting off the monitor but the computer would continue to run. It wasn't until I did a hard shutdown and and restart that it would finally boot up again. I went into ChameleonPrefpane and made sure "Restart Fix" was unchecked. I went checked my com.apple.boot and the key was back but marked as "No" and I continually had the same issue with restarting. It wasn't until I completely uninstalled ChameleonPrefpane and rebuild my com.apple.boot that this issue went away and I was able to restart normally. I never tested it with the Restart Fix marked as yes because I didn't think it was necessary to have the key in there to begin with.

sumsaykra-z said:
I wanted to report back a particular....glitch...I had using this program. I noticed after installing ChamelonPrefpane and doing a few edits that in my com.apple.boot file their was a key for Restart Fix marked as "Yes". I know I never manually put that in because I never heard of a restart fix. So I went ahead and removed the key all together. Obviously from it's name it had something to do with a restart. So I tried to restart my system and it would attempt to restart by shutting off the monitor but the computer would continue to run. It wasn't until I did a hard shutdown and and restart that it would finally boot up again. I went into ChameleonPrefpane and made sure "Restart Fix" was unchecked. I went checked my com.apple.boot and the key was back but marked as "No" and I continually had the same issue with restarting. It wasn't until I completely uninstalled ChameleonPrefpane and rebuild my com.apple.boot that this issue went away and I was able to restart normally. I never tested it with the Restart Fix marked as yes because I didn't think it was necessary to have the key in there to begin with.
The restart fix is enabled by default without an entry in com.apple.Boot.plist. If you just hoover your mouse over that checkbox, a short description appears. ;)

• Restart fix enable/disable option. If disabled, no FACP patch will be done at boot time. (Enabled by default)

karacho said:
The restart fix is enabled by default without an entry in com.apple.Boot.plist. If you just hoover your mouse over that checkbox, a short description appears. ;)

• Restart fix enable/disable option. If disabled, no FACP patch will be done at boot time. (Enabled by default)

I don't know what a FACP patch is but I do know that without this program my computer restarted fine. :thumbup: . After installing this program, even with unchecking "Restart Fix" my computer would not restart properly. This is the "glitch" I was referring to. If having this program installed won't let my computer restart properly without checking "Restart Fix" why even give me the option? Am I making any sense? Other than this the program seems great. Hell, half of it I didn't need to use but looked useful, if that makes sense. Can you point me to a tutorial or something that kind of explains the program more in detail?

sumsaykra-z said:
karacho said:

I don't know what a FACP patch is but I do know that without this program my computer restarted fine. :thumbup: . After installing this program, even with unchecking "Restart Fix" my computer would not restart properly. This is the "glitch" I was referring to. If having this program installed won't let my computer restart properly without checking "Restart Fix" why even give me the option? Am I making any sense? Other than this the program seems great. Hell, half of it I didn't need to use but looked useful, if that makes sense. Can you point me to a tutorial or something that kind of explains the program more in detail?
Hmmm...i'll try to explain that, but it isn't easy for me, because english isn't my language :)
FACP means "Fixed ACPI Description Table" and when unchecked the box, Chameleon won't fix the ACPI "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface" which might results to your restart issues.

Please can you post your com.apple.Boot.plist here? It's in the /Extra folder. Open it with Textedit and copy and paste the contend herein. I guess this Checkbox didn't work properly and

• <key>RestartFix</key>
    <string>no</string>

is still present in your com.apple.Boot.plist.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=i386</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Remember though, I uninstalled ChameleonPrefpane so this doesn't reflect what it looked like when I did have in installed.

sumsaykra-z said:
Remember though, I uninstalled ChameleonPrefpane so this doesn't reflect what it looked like when I did have in installed.
Looks normally except that your system is running in 32bit mode. Is your restart issue still present? I would delete that arch=i386 and that quiet boot...it should look like this, then reboot.

• <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>no</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>3</string>

Have a look to my boot.plist

• <key>Boot Banner</key>
    <string>No</string> > chameleon version won't shown on bootscreen
    <key>DSDT</key>
    <string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string> > obsolete, chameleon look by default in that folder
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>yes</string> > self explanatory
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1920x1080x32</string> > my chameleon bootscreen resolution (only vesa resolutions your card can represent)
    <string>Yes</string> > self explanatory
    <key>Hide Partition</key>
    <string>hd(3,2)</string> > hides my win7 systempartition on bootsreen (win7 bootpartition is still visible)
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string> > self explanatory (for testing other kernels you can give i.e. hd(0,2)/Extra/mach_kernel or another path where the kernel is stored and can be found)
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string></string> > empty (-v, -x, -s, -arch=i386 and other arguments can be set here)
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>yes</string> > the legacy apple bootscreen
    <key>PCIRoot</key>
    <string>1</string> > must have for my FERMI gfx card (can also be set in Kernel Flags, PCIRoot=1)
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string> > obsolete, chameleon look by default in that folder
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>Default</string> > the chameleon default boottheme (stored in /Extra/Themes/Default)
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>1</string> > time to boot the default OS if no key is pressed on chameleon bootscreen

another default OS can be set by adding i.e....

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(2,2)</string>

in my case this would be boot my Ubuntu by default on HD #2 Partition #2. If no Default Partition string is set like in my com.apple.Boot.plist above, then OSX starts up by default after the given timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back