RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi everyone, I'm going crazy .... I have a pc with Catalina working perfectly:

EVGA X299 DARK

64GB DDR4

GEFORCE RTX2080TI + RADEON RX5700XT

WIN10 + CATALINA + UBUNTU

I have been trying to install Big Sur for weeks without success, with both OC and Clover, I always arrive at the same point, on reboot after the first part of the installation which is done correctly. This regardless if done as an update from Catalina or from a USB stick. Basically, after the first restart, the mouse arrives at the Apple logo and then the shutdown procedure begins (see attached photo).

You can help me?

Attachments

• restart2.jpg
    restart2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
Screen Shot 11.jpg

This should tell you that it's probably wise to pull out the 2080 Ti when trying to install Big Sur.

Hello, unfortunately I have already done this test ... same result.

Hello, unfortunately I have already done this test ... same result.
Do you have any other AMD graphics cards to try older than the 5700 XT ? A 570 or 580 ?

I am getting the same problem. Can you share the EFI files?

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
Hi everyone, I'm going crazy .... I have a pc with Catalina working perfectly:

EVGA X299 DARK

64GB DDR4

GEFORCE RTX2080TI + RADEON RX5700XT

WIN10 + CATALINA + UBUNTU

I have been trying to install Big Sur for weeks without success, with both OC and Clover, I always arrive at the same point, on reboot after the first part of the installation which is done correctly. This regardless if done as an update from Catalina or from a USB stick. Basically, after the first restart, the mouse arrives at the Apple logo and then the shutdown procedure begins (see attached photo).

You can help me?

You should read the Big Sur X299 Support thread - loads of useful stuff in there. Its long but worth the read.

Yeah - I would wager you've got broken NVRAM. And Big Sur depends on it for installation. There is a specific product-url key that gets stored in NVRAM during the installation and without working NVRAM it can't store that variable and it will fail every time.

So there are three options you have:

1) Fix your NVRAM somehow, it might just not be mapped properly so an SSDT may work

I've managed to create an SSDT-PMCR for my board so I can properly map the NVRAM device but it still doesn't work. On investigation we think because some mobo vendors add a whitelist function to permit only certain variables to write to the NVRAM it doesn't work for us in MacOS. Anyway I still have no joy in fixing NVRAM.

2) Plug the drive into a real Mac and target that disk for the Big Sur installation then move it to your hack and copy over a Big Sur working EFI afterwards - Tested and works, at least for SATA SSD.

or

3) @TheBloke needs to be credited for his hard work on this great workaround which I can confirm works really well and is dead easy to follow. Once you are up and running everything works fine and I haven't needed working NVRAM - it would just be a nice convenience feature really... anyway this works fantastically well.

Hi, I'm sorry but my English is bad, I didn't understand point 3. Tell me what I should do.

For those who want to take a look I have attached my configuration.
Beware, it will surely be full of errors.

Attachments

• EFI-08-12-2020.rar
    11.8 MB · Views: 33
Do you have any other AMD graphics cards to try older than the 5700 XT ? A 570 or 580 ?

Hi, I tried with a Geforce GT710 2Gb ... same problem.

Hi, I'm sorry but my English is bad, I didn't understand point 3. Tell me what I should do.

Your EFI is a huge mess. You shouldn't have both Clover and Opencore in the same EFI.
For Big Sur I recommend Opencore. Follow the Dortania guide but when you start to run the install you need to follow the instructions in the link I posted for 3) above.

it will take you to the post that tells you how to work around your problem.

If you can post your DSDT dumped from Windows or Linux with SSDTime - I will see if I can clean up your EFI and SSDT's and check for any problems. I see you have used the pre-built SSDT's - they usually work but I had to adapt a few things to work.

You need two things:

1) a clean EFI that's configured properly for your system (with an Embedded Controller SSDT)
2) follow the install guide for X299 users with broken NVRAM, I shared the link in post #7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back