Contribute
Register

really cool new Lian li case for Hackintosh mobo question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X Gaming 3
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
XFX R9 280X Double dissipation
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone. My Name is Darren. I have been thinking about a HACKINTOSH for ages, just bought the Ipad and am certain its the thing for me now. I have done a fair bit of research and am going to ask a few noob questions here if thats OK. :)

I am getting this really cool case.. the Lian li v352 in Silver. link :

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/produc ... =64&g=spec

My Question is.... seems like Gigabyte is the MOBO of choice, but which one being as this case only takes mATX format. I'll for sure be using Core i5-750 CPU... as I already have this purchased. please could someone give me a heads up?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/produc ... =64&g=spec

going to have a go at answering my own question. what about this one?

GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

it has USB 3.0 so I can use external storage later. Will USB 3.0 work in snow leopard?

Is this a Mobo that I can get one of the bios re-wrtie DsDT things for ?

Cheers

Nice case!

The GA-H57M-USB3's gfx chipset will most likely not work under Snow Leopard (no drivers).

The chipset that's supported best is the P55. The GA-P55M-UD4 is the only P55 Gigabyte µATX board I can find via my favourite search site right now. Has been used a few times IIRC...
Google 'site:tonymacx86.com "GA-P55M-UD4"' to find out what people say who actually use it.

Also wait for other opinions on your first choice board.

jetbootz said:
Hi Everyone. My Name is Darren. I have been thinking about a HACKINTOSH for ages, just bought the Ipad and am certain its the thing for me now. I have done a fair bit of research and am going to ask a few noob questions here if thats OK. :)
Hi Darren, Welcome !

Feel free to ask... We were all noobs at some time...

jetbootz said:
I am getting this really cool case.. the Lian li v352 in Silver.
Lovely box.

jetbootz said:
My Question is.... seems like Gigabyte is the MOBO of choice, but which one being as this case only takes mATX format. I'll for sure be using Core i5-750 CPU... as I already have this purchased. please could someone give me a heads up?
Check out my build... But for your case, get the Big Shuriken instead of the Mugen-2.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

So , thanks very much for these insightful replies. I have kinda settled on this lian li case for purely aesthetic reasons. I really like it. to that end I realise I have stiched myself up due to the small form mATX MOBO compatible problem. I have had a look on newegg and have a plan, can someone chime in please and ya or neh this list?

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model

I have gone for the 4850 ATI card due to reading lots of other people saying that future OSX will support it due to it being on current MACs. so thats the video card decided. the Ram is low profile , and I think its ok. the HDD's are OK I believe..? The thing is I will be using the HACKINTOSH for video editing and photo editing so I really need to run RAID as a fail safe for all my video projects. I really dont want to lose a HDD half way through a long edit. Is raid possible on a HACK? My primary OS drive will be a SSD. Is this possible?

Guess ill have to stick with the stock cooler unless someone can chime in with a low profile one thats 1156 compatible? the Big Shruiken is not apparently.

Thanks

Darren

@RAID: Getting the OS to work on a RAID would be a bit tricky, but RAIDing data drives is straight-forward (simply via DiskUtility).

@Big Shuriken: What's wrong with it? Is it too wide? Definitely not too high... ;)

The rest looks nice; the HDDs will definitely work anyway and I think the model you picked is the one everyone recommends here.

jetbootz said:
So , thanks very much for these insightful replies. I have kinda settled on this lian li case for purely aesthetic reasons. I really like it. to that end I realise I have stiched myself up due to the small form mATX MOBO compatible problem.
Not a problem at all...
If you ask me, currently the P55M-UD4 seems to be the best bang for your bucks...
I'm running it in a case which can hold ATX boards...

jetbootz said:
I have had a look on newegg and have a plan, can someone chime in please and ya or neh this list?

:thumbup:

jetbootz said:
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Be very careful with this one...
I helped a friend with this very same card, and it was a nightmare to get it running, but when we succeeded, it worked... for 3 days :(
He then started getting the black screen problem many discuss... He was so fed up that he went to the shop, picked up the first nVidia he could grab, and is now happily running it.
Morale: It's not impossible to get it running, but you might expect surprises down the road...

jetbootz said:
G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model

jetbootz said:
I have gone for the 4850 ATI card due to reading lots of other people saying that future OSX will support it due to it being on current MACs. so thats the video card decided. the Ram is low profile , and I think its ok. the HDD's are OK I believe..? The thing is I will be using the HACKINTOSH for video editing and photo editing so I really need to run RAID as a fail safe for all my video projects. I really dont want to lose a HDD half way through a long edit. Is raid possible on a HACK? My primary OS drive will be a SSD. Is this possible?
Yes, but it seems the way to go is using the OSX software RAID, not the one in the board/chipset.

jetbootz said:
Guess ill have to stick with the stock cooler unless someone can chime in with a low profile one thats 1156 compatible? the Big Shruiken is not apparently.
Huh ? The BigShuriken is compatible with LGA1156.
Check out: http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... etail.html

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for the heads up about the Graphics cards. I'll just get a GT 250 or something. maybe a 9800 GT 1 GB. which is the best? I assume both are OK.

In relation to the cooler, I must have found the wrong one on newegg, cause the one I found was not compatible. I'll get the cooler though.

will go order and then come back with more dumb questions i'm sure!~

Darren

jetbootz said:
Thanks for the heads up about the Graphics cards. I'll just get a GT 250 or something. maybe a 9800 GT 1 GB. which is the best? I assume both are OK.
Similar performance of these, but you can have a Silent 9800 GT...

jetbootz said:
In relation to the cooler, I must have found the wrong one on newegg, cause the one I found was not compatible. I'll get the cooler though.

jetbootz said:
will go order and then come back with more dumb questions i'm sure!
Keep'em coming ;)

jetbootz said:

will go order and then come back with more dumb questions i'm sure!~

Darren

Actually, the big shuriken originally came out with only 1366 support since that was the only socket available, but when intel released the new 1156 sockets, the big shuriken was 'patched', so to say, to include 1156 compatibility. So don't worry, that's the right one. In fact, it should be the only one that pops up on Newegg.

Update0: here's the Scythe site, under description there's LGA 1156 support:
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/big-shuriken.html

Update1: here's a more recent Newegg customer review (4/2/2010):

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros: Keeps CPU nice and cool. Max RPM the fan isn't enough noise to bother watching movies at low levels. Much better than the stock on an i5 750. Attractive Looking, Low Height. Fits very nicely under my PSU in a Lanbox Lite. Came with Clips needed for all boards:

LGA 771
LGA 775
LGA 1156
LGA 1366
Socket AM2
Socket AM2+
Socket AM3
-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're not gaming, the 9800 GT will be fine. The GTS 250 will be snoozing in your build unless your going to do graphical stuff. :D

Oh, and here's the silent 9800 GT Lnx2Mac was talking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125282

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back