Contribute
Register

Really cheap machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The case mooks really neat! And haha everybody says something else about the core :p i dont know what to do :p the SSd is a Kingston model, only 50 euro.. I posted a new config a few posts earlier :)

To see benefits with the i3, it depends what your doing. But the SSD you will notice huge benefits in boot time, and opening apps. I'd get an SSD.

ssd, unless free or bargain priced , is a waste on a machine used for watching videos, web browsing, and watching movies. A hack coming out of sleep is faster than a ssd booting up from off. A laptop with a ssd is a different story. If you are building a performance machine it's a different story. But for a cheapo it's not needed. The other area to look at is used items. Case, video card, hard drive, etc are all areas that used parts can help greatly in keeping a cheap hack just that... cheap.

ssd, unless free or bargain priced , is a waste on a machine used for watching videos, web browsing, and watching movies. A hack coming out of sleep is faster than a ssd booting up from off. A laptop with a ssd is a different story. If you are building a performance machine it's a different story. But for a cheapo it's not needed. The other area to look at is used items. Case, video card, hard drive, etc are all areas that used parts can help greatly in keeping a cheap hack just that... cheap.

I agree with you, unless noise is a factor. I wouldn't want a rotational HDD in an HTPC! But if you're trying to cut costs, replacing the SSD with an HDD is a good option.

Hm, hard decisions..

The difference in price between the SSD and normal HHD is minimal, and since I already own an external HDD, I'll definitely go with the SSD.

So I have

Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB
Corsair XMS 2x2GB
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Antec Three Hundred + Cooler Master Elite 400 (I like the case..)

What I think

Intel Celeron G540 (It will be powerful enough for my use, but will this be enough for future Mac OS versions?)
Asus NVIDIA Geforce GT 210

OR

Intel i3-3225

Hm, hard decisions..

The difference in price between the SSD and normal HHD is minimal, and since I already own an external HDD, I'll definitely go with the SSD.

So I have

Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB
Corsair XMS 2x2GB
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Antec Three Hundred + Cooler Master Elite 400 (I like the case..)

What I think

Intel Celeron G540 (It will be powerful enough for my use, but will this be enough for future Mac OS versions?)
Asus NVIDIA Geforce GT 210

OR

Intel i3-3225

There's no way to know what Apple will do in the future when it comes to supporting older CPUs; they've been known to drop support relatively quickly. I would really think about going with the i3-3225.

One more thing I see: There really isn't a huge difference in price between 4GB (2 x 2GB) and 8GB (2 x 4GB) - only $15-20 difference. I know your motherboard has 4 slots but skimping on RAM now just means you'll want to buy more later. Do yourself a favor, save up a few extra bucks and get 8GB. It doesn't have to be Corsair XMS (though that's good RAM).

With the 8gb RAM and i3, I have a total of 386 euro..
I have the money to get better parts, but I dont know if I want to spend that surplus.. Will the Celeron, GT 210 and 4GB ram be enough for movies, internet and music? For gaming and heavier stuff I have a good laptop..

With the 8gb RAM and i3, I have a total of 386 euro..
I have the money to get better parts, but I dont know if I want to spend that surplus.. Will the Celeron, GT 210 and 4GB ram be enough for movies, internet and music? For gaming and heavier stuff I have a good laptop..
It would be fine. But the problem is your system could be struggling in a couple years with more resource intensive apps and OS's. The cost between an i3 and a Celeron + GT 210 is minimal considering performance gains you would gain with an i3.

It would be fine. But the problem is your system could be struggling in a couple years with more resource intensive apps and OS's. The cost between an i3 and a Celeron + GT 210 is minimal considering performance gains you would gain with an i3.

In my part of town an I3 is approx. $100 more than the cheapest celeron. The hd graphics are the equal of a 10 to 15 dollar used video card. That 85 dollars or so can pay for almost half of another cheap hackintosh. Cheap sandy's and ivy's will be fine for at least another couple of years. I3 is overkill on a cheap box.

I went with the Celeron G540 and nVidia Geforce GT210. My fathers macbook with Core2Duo at 2.4Ghz is more than good enough, so my 2.5Ghz should be good enough as well!:) Expected delivery is this week so i'm waiting eagerly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back