Contribute
Register

Really cheap machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you want a cheap hack that works well, you really don't need anything more than the items i suggested. Can you spend more? Sure but an I3 that isn't being pushed to it's limits is money wasted. A ssd could also be money wasted if you are trying to stay cheap. A hack coming out of it's sleep state pops on right away so concentrate on getting it to work properly. You can always add more later if you think the hack is too slow, but i think you will be surprised.

Of course you'll benefit from them - they'll make your system faster. I think the previous poster's comments about the i3 and SSD being "overkill for a cheap machine" don't make any sense; just because you're going cheap doesn't mean you have to completely sacrifice performance.

If you haven't build a hack with a cheap celeron you don't know how good they are. I've built overclocked 2500k's as well and for a lot of people the celeron's are more than enough. If tom's hardware can build an entry level gaming machine off of these cheap cpu's that may be an indicator of their quality.

Yes i get your point, but the fact is, the SSD costs 50 euro, and for the other HDD's it's almost the same price. And I already have an external HDD, I thought I'd be better with the SSD. And the processor with the graphics card is around 90 euro, which is only 30 euro less than the i3. Thats a small extra price for the assurance I won't have to buy a new processor too soon..

I built my brother a cheap box reusing an old e-machines case and power supply. Save $100 or so.

You mean I won't benefit from the I3 or SSD?

The SSD is just around 50 euro, and I already have an external HDD which I can use for a backup..
To see benefits with the i3, it depends what your doing. But the SSD you will notice huge benefits in boot time, and opening apps. I'd get an SSD.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I realized it'd be stupid to get an i3 without pushing it to the max though I'll keep the SSD as I know from my laptop what difference it makes.
I'm fine with a Celeron core, and will be probably adding a Geforce 210 to it :)

Yes povomac was a bit outdated, most parts aren't even available anymore..

This is what I had in mind

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (72.24$)
Intel Celeron G540 ($45)
Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB (1x4GB) (28$)
Antec Three Hundred Case (60)
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w (40$)
Intel 330 SSD 60GB (75$)
And for the video card i'm stuck..

Without video card, I'm already above the 300$ limit. Any ideas how to cut the price? (I really think the CoolerMaster Elite 311 case is ugly..)

Avoid the gfx card all together and get an I3-3225 with the integrated gfx. It'll be just as good or better than a
gt610 or other cheap card. Also a fast Sata 3 mechanical HDD could save you another 30 bucks if you skip the
Intel ssd. Here's a good budget case you can get now for $26 after rebate from Newegg. The Zalman Z5 atx case.

TRS 2013-02-25 at 4.02.47 AM.png
It's solidly built, has decent airflow and modest cable management. Even a blue led fan in front. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back