Contribute
Register

Really cheap machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the cheap compatible motherboards can't be shipped to my location. The Gigabyte GA-H61N is one the few that can be shipped, but it has Super4 in it's name. Is that a problem for hackintoshes?

Many of the cheap compatible motherboards can't be shipped to my location. The Gigabyte GA-H61N is one the few that can be shipped, but it has Super4 in it's name. Is that a problem for hackintoshes?

That board is supported, but keep in mind that it's Sandy Bridge, so it's previous generation technology. Are you sure none of the Ivy Bridge boards are available in Belgium? If you order from Amazon.fr, I believe they ship to Belgium.

Gigabyte B75M-D3H is a Micro ATX motherboard. This won't fit in the an Apex MI-008 - which is sized for a Mini-ITX motherboard.

You can find a less expensive larger case, such as the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower for $20 and the Thermaltake TR2 430W Watt ATX Power Supply for $26 at Microcenter.

Lastly I would buy a matched pair of 4 GB memory sticks - you'll see better performance with dual channel memory.

Gigabyte B75M-D3H is a Micro ATX motherboard. This won't fit in the an Apex MI-008 - which is sized for a Mini-ITX motherboard.

You can find a less expensive larger case, such as the Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower for $20 and the Thermaltake TR2 430W Watt ATX Power Supply for $26 at Microcenter.

Lastly I would buy a matched pair of 4 GB memory sticks - you'll see better performance with dual channel memory.

Thanks, I had no idea!

New try

Intel i3-3225
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB
Antec Three Hundred
Cooler Master Elite Power - 400W Power Supply

My two cents on case and psu. I use the cheapest items i can find. If you are not doing anything that generates a lot of heat or stress they will be fine. The b75 motherboard will have sleep working if the machine is done properly so skip the ssd and get any cheap hard drive. In fact get 2 hard drives and save the second to make a clone of the first for a backup when it comes to mountain lion update time. The I3 is overkill on a cheap machine, the celeron and pentiums are more than enough if you can find a cheap video card to go with them. 8600 gt, gts, 8800gt, gt240, etc can be found for 20-30 bucks or so.

You mean I won't benefit from the I3 or SSD?

Of course you'll benefit from them - they'll make your system faster. I think the previous poster's comments about the i3 and SSD being "overkill for a cheap machine" don't make any sense; just because you're going cheap doesn't mean you have to completely sacrifice performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back