Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi So all of our family photos are on a 4TB drive. not looked at it for a while. Now every time I try and do any thing from it I get Error Code -36.

I went to the backup and as luck would have it, the back up has got issues too. Im gutted. Can anyone take me forward on this?

Hi So all of our family photos are on a 4TB drive. not looked at it for a while. Now every time I try and do any thing from it I get Error Code -36.

I went to the backup and as luck would have it, the back up has got issues too. Im gutted. Can anyone take me forward on this?
Can you please provide more information?
Is the file system of the hard disk HFS+?
Where do you get the error code? Can you maybe upload a picture?
Have you tried to replug the disk?

Yes its HFS+
I get the error code whenever I try and create a directory and reading from it is impossibly slow
Yes unplugged disc, put in genuine Mac too.

Yes its HFS+
I get the error code whenever I try and create a directory and reading from it is impossibly slow
Yes unplugged disc, put in genuine Mac too.

You may try this terminal command:

dot_clean and drag and drop the disk to the command line

If you know a certain file is causing that instead of the whole disk(which can take a long time to fix), just navigate to that file in the 4GB external disk and drag and drop that file after a space next to "dot_clean" command:

yourname$sudo dot_clean "your 4GB disk" [ENTER]
$ password:xxxxxxx [ENTER]

You may try this terminal command:

dot_clean and drag and drop the disk to the command line

If you know a certain file is causing that instead of the whole disk(which can take a long time to fix), just navigate to that file in the 4GB external disk and drag and drop that file after a space next to "dot_clean" command:

yourname$sudo dot_clean "your 4GB disk" [ENTER]
$ password:xxxxxxx [ENTER]

I looked at idea but its the whole drive. I took it out and put it in a caddy on a real Mac and ran disc warrior. DW failed at first and I noticed a regular knocking which experience tells me is the heads returning and hunting. My gut feeling is that the disk is totally stuffed. Whilst DW has got hold of it, I am going to get the stuff off it that isn't covered in the back and buy two new drives tomorrow and then replicate the data across both.

Then Ill try dot_clean and delete the DS stores.

Thank for taking then time to reply but this really feels like drive error. Im just unlucky to have it on two drives.

I looked at idea but its the whole drive. I took it out and put it in a caddy on a real Mac and ran disc warrior. DW failed at first and I noticed a regular knocking which experience tells me is the heads returning and hunting. My gut feeling is that the disk is totally stuffed. Whilst DW has got hold of it, I am going to get the stuff off it that isn't covered in the back and buy two new drives tomorrow and then replicate the data across both.

Then Ill try dot_clean and delete the DS stores.

Thank for taking then time to reply but this really feels like drive error. Im just unlucky to have it on two drives.
That's what I was afraid of-hard disk failure- the click and clack death rattle of the last gasp of a mechanical disk is really a bad sign! I hope you can recover your files. I had a similar problem with a Samsung 2GB External disk with a lot of my Pictures in one Partition and Technical files in the other. Luckily I keep cloned images in another disk that is never connected and Powered and I could clone back to a New drive and connect the saved one and keep the new Clone as a Rescue Donor.

That's what I was afraid of-hard disk failure- the click and clack death rattle of the last gasp of a mechanical disk is really a bad sign! I hope you can recover your files. I had a similar problem with a Samsung 2GB External disk with a lot of my Pictures in one Partition and Technical files in the other. Luckily I keep cloned images in another disk that is never connected and Powered and I could clone back to a New drive and connect the saved one and keep the new Clone as a Rescue Donor.

This is exactly what I do too. But the clone appears to be screwed too.

This is exactly what I do too. But the clone appears to be screwed too.
Did you use it many times and subject that too to the Power Surges that could damage disks? Some of the "Refurbished" disks we buy on Sale are disasters waiting to happen!

What Cloning tool you use? That can also cause problem by not making a real clone.

I suspect power to have been an issue possibly. It's not been used a lot. Was a WD 4TB Black :-/ will try and claim warranty if I can find the invoice...

Used carbon copy but DW lots of overlapped files

Update: DW has rebuilt the directory structure on the disc but can't repair due to damage. However I can now get the stuff of it.

DW is about 25% through fixing a bunch of overslapped files.'should be done by dinner time.

Then I'm off to buy a couple of new disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back