Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting an SSD for my hackintosh. I'm wondering what would be the best way to transfer my existing install to my SSD when I get it. Should I completely reinstall Os X from scratch on the SSD and then transfer all my files, apps and settings using time machine, or can I just clone my existing HDD to the SSD? My goal is for the SSD to serve as a boot drive and hold nothing but my system and apps, while all my media and other space hoging files will be stored on one of my secondary drives. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

brandonjcreek said:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting an SSD for my hackintosh. I'm wondering what would be the best way to transfer my existing install to my SSD when I get it. Should I completely reinstall Os X from scratch on the SSD and then transfer all my files, apps and settings using time machine, or can I just clone my existing HDD to the SSD? My goal is for the SSD to serve as a boot drive and hold nothing but my system and apps, while all my media and other space hoging files will be stored on one of my secondary drives. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Do you have 2 users - one for admin stuff with root priveleges and one without root privileges for normal everyday use? Do you have enough hard drive space available to move all file you want off of the boot hard drive so it's as lean as you can get it with only essential system files and apps on it?

I only have one user account. And currently my system, files and music are only taking up about 32gb. My plan is once I have everything installed and configured on the ssd, I'll move all of my music and other things to the original HDD and only leave the os and applications on the SSD. I think once I expire the music, the system and apps will only occupy about 20-25 gb on the SSD.

brandonjcreek said:
I only have one user account. And currently my system, files and music are only taking up about 32gb. My plan is once I have everything installed and configured on the ssd, I'll move all of my music and other things to the original HDD and only leave the os and applications on the SSD. I think once I expire the music, the system and apps will only occupy about 20-25 gb on the SSD.
In that case, to make sure there are no residuals copied, run disc utility on your platter drive install and select "erase free space" and run it.
Format your SSD and prep it for install.
Then use CCC or SD to do a full clone of your platter drive.
Run MultiBeast and select system utilities and the same chameleon boot loader you used on your working drive, point it at your SSD and hit continue to install.
Boot to BIOS and change your boot order to the SSD, F10 to save and exit, continue boot and select the SSD to boot from.
When you are booted to the SSD, run a few apps and generally make sure everything works. You should be good to go from here on.

If I were you though, I would set up a child's type account with no system privileges to use on the internet. Safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back