Contribute
Register

[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra

Yes... and a patch for XCPM idle in the kernel (it is MSR 0xE2 related). Then verification.
Some are reporting better results using XCPM and not HWP...

Yes. As documented in post #1.
No, the Safari issue wasn't resolved :(

Yeah! Works brigthness without kext...!

Not true. Even if you're using AppleBacklight.kext, you will need an injector kext and appropriate ACPI patches.
This is nothing new.
Read post #1.

Not true. Even if you're using AppleBacklight.kext, you will need an injector kext and appropriate ACPI patches.
This is nothing new.
Read post #1.

Since you usually update Envy repo and since we use the SSDT-HACK, if you want me to test anything related to brightness even if we have to use AppleBacklightInjector let me know. I know ACPI Backlight.kext before IntelBacklight used to work awesome, would that work with a few modifications?

Since you usually update Envy repo and since we use the SSDT-HACK, if you want me to test anything related to brightness even if we have to use AppleBacklightInjector let me know. I know ACPI Backlight.kext before IntelBacklight used to work awesome, would that work with a few modifications?

ACPIBacklight.kext uses the same interfaces as IntelBacklight.kext.
patch_backlight.sh is still in the u430 repo. It should be applicable to your Envy Haswell. And you can remove the PNLF implementation in SSDT-HACK and replace with SSDT-Config/SSDT-PNLF from my hotpatch repo.

ACPIBacklight.kext uses the same interfaces as IntelBacklight.kext.
patch_backlight.sh is still in the u430 repo. It should be applicable to your Envy Haswell. And you can remove the PNLF implementation in SSDT-HACK and replace with SSDT-Config/SSDT-PNLF from my hotpatch repo.

Ok so I did what you said to my SSDT-HACK and have the AppleBacklightInjector and IntelBacklight.kext in the same folder and the brightness slider is still not adjusting. I even tried removing IntelBacklight and AppleBacklight/AppleBacklightExpert is Loaded but then I get no Brightness slider at all. At least it was worth a try.

Last edited:
Ok so I did what you said to my SSDT-HACK and have the AppleBacklightInjector and IntelBacklight.kext in the same folder and the brightness slider is still not adjusting. I even tried removing IntelBacklight and AppleBacklight/AppleBacklightExpert is Loaded but then I get no Brightness slider at all. At least it was worth a try.

IntelBacklight.kext overrides AppleBacklight.kext. If you intend to use AppleBacklight via the injector you must remove IntelBacklight.kext.

Also, you must do the ACPI adjustments I mentioned.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

@RehabMan after removing IntelBacklight.kext and rebuilding caches, my brightness slider natively works correctly. But the screen intensity on the lowest brightness level is still quite bright. Are there any ways to make it darker (like using IntelBacklight before)?

Last edited:
@RehabMan after removing IntelBacklight.kext and rebuilding caches, my brightness slider natively works correctly. But the screen intensity on the lowest brightness level is still quite bright. Is there any ways to make it darker (like using IntelBacklight before)?

You have an interesting definition of "correctly"...

As per post #1, AppleBacklight.kext does not work 100% correct natively. You must patch it or create an AppleBacklightInjector.kext and different ACPI code is required.

You have an interesting definition of "correctly"...

As per post #1, AppleBacklight.kext does not work 100% correct natively. You must patch it or create an AppleBacklightInjector.kext and different ACPI code is required.
Lol. "It works" is "correctly" enough for a noob, man. Lmao

IntelBacklight.kext overrides AppleBacklight.kext. If you intend to use AppleBacklight via the injector you must remove IntelBacklight.kext.

Also, you must do the ACPI adjustments I mentioned.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Ok I did the following like your suggested to try and make it work

1) Ran the .patch_backlight.sl from your U430 repo
2) Copied the kext to /Library/Extensions
3) Removed my existing PNLF code from the SSDT-HACK.dsl
4) Added the PNLF from your Clover laptop hot patch repo to SSDT-HACK.dsl
5) Built the SSDT-HACK to become .aml
6) Copied it to Clover

I thought per your instructions the steps was to enable AppleBacklight. Back in Yosemite when we were using DSDT instead of SSDT-HACK, I remember I could enable AppleBacklight by just removing ACPI Backlight.kext and adding InjectEDID to false to my config.plist for Clover but that is not working. Was there another change to PNLF when we switched from DSDT to SSDT-HACK?

Back