Contribute
Register

Read if you are having problems with graphics and getting Mountain Lion Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5-2500k(OC to 4.0)
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is so simple after tons of posts I could not get my graphics workings. Especially if you have a 6XXX graphics card. So a 6850/6870 like me I couldnt get it to work.

Someone recommended that you remove some kexts for the installer and then re add them. PLEASE TRY THIS FIRST. Then try the Kext things.
This works with fresh installs and with upgrades from Unibeast.
No need for flags like GraphicsEnabler=No, PCIRootUID=0, PCIRootUID=1, etc.

Make your Mountain Lion USB stick in Lion using the new and improved Unibeast
After that is finished, I would recommend backing up your system although not required.

Turn off your computer

REMOVE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD!!!!
This works if you have built in INTEL 3000/4000

Run lion installed, no need for graphicsenabler=no or any other flags. Just run the from Unibeast drive..
Install Mountain Lion, you will notice no white screens or glitches. It will be successful and then ask to restart.

Restart you computer, you should boot right into Mountain Lion no problems.

Turn your computer OFF

Put your graphics card back into your machine(dont forget to change the monitor cables back to the GPU)

Turn on

BOOM working Mountain Lion

Also no reason to even run Multibeast again after following this upgrade method. If you do a fresh install though you would want to run Multibeast.

Hope that helps everyone as much as it did to me. I haven't seen this posted before so I thought I would.
As a side note I have a Gigabyte 6870 1GB.

nice. it is doing exactly the same thing as GraphicsEnabler=No.

I stand corrected. I have to run multibeast for my sound but not for networking.

Also feel free to post if this helped you. I am just curious if I was the only one.

good to hear puec

i got mine installed with 'graphicsenabler=no,' so i'm past all that. it was recognizing as a 6870, but then i was having problems with the mouse lagging. someone suggested i put PCIRootUID=0 in my boot.plist. i did that, and the mouse lagginess is gone, but now the card is recognized as 6XXX. what can i do to get the proper recognition back, but still have no mouse lagginess?

So the point here is to remove the card before installing, so it works AFTER the installation?

I have a GTX 550 Ti and it just doesn't work, I'm not the only one either. I didn't have a problem installing it and it works well with the first boot, but after that, the driver crashes/times out just before loading the desktop.

More about this discussion here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/60861-fixed-my-550-ti.html

i got mine installed with 'graphicsenabler=no,' so i'm past all that. it was recognizing as a 6870, but then i was having problems with the mouse lagging. someone suggested i put PCIRootUID=0 in my boot.plist. i did that, and the mouse lagginess is gone, but now the card is recognized as 6XXX. what can i do to get the proper recognition back, but still have no mouse lagginess?

I don't know if this will fix your graphics problem but for me, I just removed the whole line.
It fixed my Appstore and my 6870 card is properly recognized as "AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB"
Don't even put PCIRootUID=0 or 1

I don't know if this will fix your graphics problem but for me, I just removed the whole line.
It fixed my Appstore and my 6870 card is properly recognized as "AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024 MB"
Don't even put PCIRootUID=0 or 1

the mouse was laggy before i put that line in. i'm afraid if i take it back out, it will go back to being that way.

tried changing the 0 to a 1. recognized as 6870, but lagginess is back.

going to change back to 0 and 6XXX unless i find out another way to do it.

if it's recognized as 6XXX, does that mean i'm not getting the full power of the gpu?

So the point here is to remove the card before installing, so it works AFTER the installation?

I have a GTX 550 Ti and it just doesn't work, I'm not the only one either. I didn't have a problem installing it and it works well with the first boot, but after that, the driver crashes/times out just before loading the desktop.

More about this discussion here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/60861-fixed-my-550-ti.html

Surprisingly yes. That is exactly the point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back