Contribute
Register

Re-running MultiBeast consequences (bootloader)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Normally when I play around with other operating systems I usually segregate them to their own disks and when installing them isolate them from disks native operating systems on them. I do not like bootloaders.

Recently I successfully installed OSX 10.8.5 to a SSD. During the install, the SSD with Windows 7 Professional on it was physically disconnected. Only once the Hackintosh setup was complete did I reconnect the other SSD and both operating systems could see the other physical disk.

Yesterday I installed an external HDD, went into ML and partitioned in two, one Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other NTFS. I used the Mac partition for TimeMachine and ran it, then booted into Windows 7 and did a backup there.

I then rebooted into ML and performed the Supplemental Update for ML, and I thought that from readings here on tonymacx86 I needed to perform MultiBeast to restore audio. I should have tested, beforehand, that audio was indeed impacted and saved myself the hassle of unwillingly installing a bootloader.

Before, Windows 7 would boot by default, and to get into ML I would use the F12 key at boot to use the BIOS boot option to select the SSD for ML. Now, if I do nothing as usual the unusual happens: ML boots by default. If I disable the SATA0 that ML is on, I cannot boot into W7. I believe that a bootloader located on the ML SSD (SATA0) was set during the re-run of MultiBeast.

How do I undo this? I do not want to depend on a bootloader to get into either OS.

Why not use Chimera as your bootloader and then have the option of choosing which operating system to boot rather than having to use F12 during post to select your OS? With Chimera you can have it auto boot to OS X or ML, with a timer, or just have it stop on the Chimera boot option screen and then choose what you would like to boot.

This seems like the better option rather than having to press F12 during boot to choose which OS you would like to install.

*On a side note, if you do install Chimera, I would also run Chameleon Wizard (another app) and choose an Install Method that matches your build, whether you have one drive or multiple drives.

I consider my Hackintosh an experiment. For that reason alone I wouldn't want to depend on it to boot something that isn't an experiment.

BTW, I have no idea how long this experiment will run--maybe forever. Still, I was hoping for a solution to undo what has been done. Thanks anyway. TGIF!

Chimera is, or rather was and still is, installed. Previously I only noticed the one option under it and that was for Mountain Lion. During the Chimera bootloader phase if I strike the SPACEBAR I get four options: Mountain Lion, System Reserved (W7), Windows 7, and NTBK.

System Reserved and Windows 7 are two default partitions on the SSD sitting on SATA1 that resulted from that OS install.

Mountain Lion is the only partition on the SSD sitting on SATA0 that resulted from the Hackintosh installation.

NTBK is the NTFS partition on an external HDD for targeting W7 backups. The amusing thing is that HDD also contains a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition for TimeMachine but it isn't showing up.

Anyway, taking a note from your suggestion I selected the Windows 7 option in the Chimera bootloader and what I got was MISSING BOOTLOADER. PRESS CRTL+ATL+DEL TO REBOOT. Go figure.

I did the control+alt+delete and then used the BIOS to select P1 to boot back into Windows 7. So, even if I wanted to I am not sure I could get a clean resolution going down either path.

Chimera is, or rather was and still is, installed. Previously I only noticed the one option under it and that was for Mountain Lion. During the Chimera bootloader phase if I strike the SPACEBAR I get four options: Mountain Lion, System Reserved (W7), Windows 7, and NTBK.

System Reserved and Windows 7 are two default partitions on the SSD sitting on SATA1 that resulted from that OS install.

Mountain Lion is the only partition on the SSD sitting on SATA0 that resulted from the Hackintosh installation.

NTBK is the NTFS partition on an external HDD for targeting W7 backups. The amusing thing is that HDD also contains a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition for TimeMachine but it isn't showing up.

Anyway, taking a note from your suggestion I selected the Windows 7 option in the Chimera bootloader and what I got was MISSING BOOTLOADER. PRESS CRTL+ATL+DEL TO REBOOT. Go figure.

I did the control+alt+delete and then used the BIOS to select P1 to boot back into Windows 7. So, even if I wanted to I am not sure I could get a clean resolution going down either path.
Select the System Reserved to boot into Windows 7. If you wanted to take it a step further you could edit your boot.plist and hide the other partitions and rename the system reserved partition to Windows 7. Check Hide Partition and Rename Partition boot flags.

As for your original question you could change the boot order in your BIOS. If Windows 7 is the first boot option and it is still booting in to ML then I'm not sure what the fix is.

baller1308, many thanks for letting me know about selecting the System Reserved option from Chimera. I did this and W7 booted just fine. Saved me from doing anything else. Much obliged. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back