Contribute
Register

Re-entering Hackintoshes, need build advice for "MacMini" type

Status
Not open for further replies.
>> wouldn't I be turning off onboard lan in the bios and then having to use some means (again forget a lot of this stuff) to have the system recognize the lan card?

You can turn on-board Realtek NIC on or off in the bios. (What I do once I've found the working BIOS setting for me is I save it, so I can easily reload it in the future, F12)

If you have a Yukon card, it just works and is recognized natively by OSX (since the Snow Leopard DVD days).

I think a lot of people are trying to make a Mac Mini given it's possible now to buy new hardware which is 2x or 3x as fast as the 2012 mini for the same cost as a much sought after used one.

You will end up needing a WiFi card since those have bluetooth on it and you need that for handoff, some features I believe require a BT hardware MAC address to exist, and most importantly for a BT mouse or keyboard which you will end up using.

First you'll likely try to get a mini ITX board and fit it in a mac mini sized case, the problem with that is the best WiFi cards are PCI express and the ITX are expensive, limited with usb ports and the small cases they go in are expensive too. You'll find out bigger boards are cheaper than ITX and that bigger cases are cheaper and can include a standard PSU, rather than pay a fortune for the pico usb and its power brick and spend ages calculating power requirements. Then you'll realise you have more ram slots so will end up building a more powerful machine and just getting a high spec quad core CPU because you saved money on the board and case. Then once you look into higher spec you'll learn about M.2 drives and try to find a port with one of those slots so you can take advantage of the newer SSDs and reduce your internal wiring.

Overall I think a mac mini style is a cool idea but it's must more cost effective to build a bigger machine at the moment, just hide it under your desk if it's ugly.

For me, having done some research into hackintoshes again after a couple year break, is the setup process is still laborious, if you watch some of the guides on youtube it takes hours, and very tedious including entering serial numbers of RAM as well as hitting some problem or another. Even if you do make it all the way through you still end up with a machine that can't wake from sleep, although that's more Intel's fault than hackintosh given real MacBook Pros with Intel graphics can suffer the same problem when using external monitors.

One thing that would really help is some pre-configured OS images for some mac mini configs, although there are many pros and cons of that, the main thing being when something goes wrong it's harder to fix if you haven't been through the set up yourself.

If you really want to to avoid having to install kexts/drivers, look for:

1. Yukon based ethernet PCI-e card.
2. USB audio adaptor.
3. FL1100 based USB 3 PCI-e card.
4. Nvidia GTX 600-series video card.
5. BCM94360CS wifi/bluetooth card with PCI-e adaptor.

Many thanks. This is a good list and very helpful.

Having gone thru builds before (and had multiple issues) I'm looking for something exactly like this, something whereby I can eliminate as many potential issues as I can. I'm fine with having to load, say a HDA kext for audio, but I do want to avoid having to rummage thru a list of fixes in the event I update the OS.

Which I'm nowadays less inclined to do unless it's a security issue.

This is a terrific (very detailed and defined) list and many thanks. As I mentioned I can get that Yukon based card and I will look into the USB options you mention. Yes, the bluetooth I had known about and was planning on that.

I'm leaning towards leaving the system with onboard graphics and see how that goes, then if I have any issues add in a more reliable card.

And once again, many thanks pastrychef more great info for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back