Contribute
Register

Razer Blade 15 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Success(-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on buying the RB15 4k Touch Screen model. Anyone know if the 4k display will be an issue? Will the touch display work?

That is a very good question, I would imagine someone would have to write a driver for the touchscreen to work. There's no touchscreen MacBook as of yet, so I don't see there being any kind of support for it right now.

It is very much possible to get sleep working! I don't know how difficult it is on High Sierra, I kind of gave up on High Sierra since there is a lot more native support for this laptop in Mojave. But I can confirm that on Mojave I have 100% functionality of everything on this laptop! Native brightness, sound, shutdown, restart and sleep all work perfectly!

The only thing that doesn't work perfectly is the very first boot from a shutdown or restart. There seems to be a bug that causes the backlight to be off for the first 3 minutes after the laptop first boots, after that the issue is gone. But everything else works like a dream.
The only thing I can't comment on is HDMI and the Mini-display port. One of the reasons for this is because I have the Nvidia card disabled as I don't really use the HDMI ever and the second reason is there's no Nvidia Mojave drivers yet. Though I'm sure once the drivers are released it will work just fine.

Now that I got everything working, I'm going to do a full write up on the Mojave install and how to get everything working properly.

Hey!

Oh it is cool to know that Mojavi is supporting this laptop, I am not sure about the issues that you just said yet... but hope someone can help to fix it!

I am super happy with the High sierra at this point, Just missing the sleep mode as I always forget to shut down. I just realised that when you press sleep mode and you open it, everything still there but the light of the screen doesnt turn up. There is an issue too that sometimes i have to restart few times as the loader bar doesnt load completely.

By the way your EFI works better than the Jomanji. The sound is perfect with yours!

Love all the effort you put to help. thanks!

Last edited:
Now that I got everything working, I'm going to do a full write up on the Mojave install and how to get everything working properly.

That's amazing man, good job! will await your post! :)

Hey!

Oh it is cool to know that Mojavi is supporting this laptop, I am not sure about the issues that you just said yet... but hope someone can help to fix it!

I am super happy with the High sierra at this point, Just missing the sleep mode as I always forget to shut down. I just realised that when you press sleep mode and you open it, everything still there but the light of the screen doesnt turn up. There is an issue too that sometimes i have to restart few times as the loader bar doesnt load completely.

By the way your EFI works better than the Jomanji. The sound is perfect with yours!

Love all the effort you put to help. thanks!
That's amazing man, good job! will await your post! :)

Well change of plans for me here! Turns out Pro Tools and Waves Plugins are not yet compatible with Mojave, to the point where they force quit when trying to use them. So I have decided to roll back to High Sierra, but this time I decided to try the 17G2208 build.

The good news: I was able to get everything to work in this build of High Sierra. Sleep, brightness, proper USB port configuration, everything that was working in Mojave works in this build of High Sierra. The ONLY downfall of this is the same downfall of Mojave, the 3 minute black screen right after first boot. But since sleep works, this really isn't an issue. I'm going to gather my files and upload them for everyone to use. Pretty much you just need to update the Config.plist, kexts and DSDT patches. As long as you have your DSDT patched, the other SSDT's from folder will be compatible for you to just copy and paste in.

Alright, so here's my EFI files and Kexts used in the 17G2208 build of High Sierra. There are 2 EFI Folders, an Install OSX folder and a Permanent EFI folder. The two are explained below.

These files WILL NOT work with the 17G65 build of High Sierra. If you use the attached EFI files with that build, you will get a KP on boot. You have been warned.
I could not get Sleep or Display Brightness to work with the 17G65 build. I think it has something to do with faking KabbyLake hardware to make it run. I ran out of patience to figure out why. So if you want these functions, I suggest that you follow this guide and update to the 17G2208 (special MacBook Pro 2018 build) of High Sierra.

The functionality of everything is riding on the fact that you edited/patched your own DSDT and SSDT from the previous version of High Sierra. Make sure you back these up from your current EFI folder, you will need them once the update is installed. If you have not patched your own DSDT, see the first few pages of this thread before continuing.

You might want to consider backing up your entire system right now, just incase. Everything you have installed and saved remains in place after this update, but anything can happen with a hackintosh.

Download an installable copy of 17G2208 using this script here: https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/blob/master/installinstallmacos.py (this is the only way that I'm aware of to get a copy of this build of High Sierra). Once you have the file downloaded, open Terminal type in sudo (put a space after) and then drag and drop the installinstallmacos.py file into Terminal and hit enter. Type in your password and follow the instructions. Once the download is complete, you will have a Install_macOS_10.13.6-17G2208.dmg file in your root user folder.

Now before you start the install for the update, go to Library - Extensions and delete any kexts that you previously installed (Whatevergreen, Lilu, Voodoo, FakeSMC) ect. Any Kext that does not normally come with OSX itself and is installed by you needs to be deleted. (Nvidia kexts can stay) If you don't do this, you will not have a fun time on the first reboot after the update installs.

Next you need to mount your EFI Drive, copy and paste the EFI folder that's in the Install OSX Folder and replace your original EFI Folder on that drive. No need to worry about copying over your patched DSDT yet, that's for later.

Now you're ready to run the installation. Start it and it will ask you to reboot after a minute. Once it does make sure to select Install MacOS on (your boot drive) option in Clover. The installation will start to boot and will take a minute to load, when it does boot, your screen will go black. If you shine the flashlight of your phone onto your screen you will see the installation running, don't worry, this is normal. After about 3 minutes, the backlight on the laptop will turn on.

Once the installation finishes, boot back into your OSX drive and let it do it's thing, finish the set up. Once you're back to your desktop, mount your EFI Drive, copy and paste the EFI folder from Permanent EFI folder and replace the one on your EFI drive with it. At this time, copy and paste your patched DSDT and SSDT files that you backed up before starting this directly into the CLOVER-ACPI-patched folder. There are a few files in the patched folder already, you need those for brightness and sleep functionality.

Once you have that done open the config.plist in Cover Configurator, go to the SMBIOS tab and generate a Board Serial Number, System Serial Number and a SmUUID. If you want iMessage and other features to work follow this guide while generating the serial numbers: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/

Next, copy the kexts from the Kexts to install to L-E folder to your desktop. Run Kextbeast or whatever kext installer you use and install the Kexts to Library-Extension. Once done, open terminal and run this code:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

When that is done, you're ready to reboot. Again the laptop will boot to a black screen, wait a few minutes and the backlight will turn on. Log on and enjoy. You should have full brightness control, sound, trackpad, battery status, WiFi (If you have a compatible WiFi card installed), Sleep, Restart and Shutdown.

**Sleep might immediately wake the first time using it after a reboot. It's a one time bug after a reboot, works fine after this.***

Big thanks to rehabman for all his help and knowledge through this process! As well as a big thanks to blodtanner and jomanji for figuring a good chunk of this stuff out in the beginning and starting the whole thread!

Hope this helps and enjoy!

Attachments

• High Sierra 17G2208 EFI Files.zip
    41.6 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Little quick hack to cut down on the 3 minute black screen on first boot. If you put the laptop to sleep when it gets to the login screen, either by closing the lid or modifying the quick key shortcut, it will try to sleep (wait for the front indicator light to turn from a blinking green to white) and then it will immediately wake itself with the backlight turned on. It's a 1 minute process instead of 3. Not really a fix, but it's better than waiting 3 minutes.

I'll eventually look into this bug, but right now I'm just trying to enjoy the laptop as is for a little while and not keep messing with it so much lol

Hope someone can fix this 3 minutes of backlight! good job! thanks.

I've also been working on a Razer Blade 15 (2018), and I found a workaround for the backlight going dark at boot. I wrote a patch for WhateverGreen to fix it. You can try it out here: https://github.com/Fraxul/WhateverGreen/releases/tag/1.2.1-a9d24be3

There's more information about how the patch works in the commit: https://github.com/Fraxul/WhateverGreen/commit/a9d24be3e478e18337d2c19a6d5dfe7b29bd88b0

This will only work / do anything if you're on 10.13.6-17G2208 and are using the native Coffee Lake framebuffer (tested with platform-id 3e9b0000).

I haven't upgraded this machine to Mojave yet -- still waiting on the release of Mojave-compatible Nvidia web drivers -- so I'm unable to test/update for later versions.

I've also been working on a Razer Blade 15 (2018), and I found a workaround for the backlight going dark at boot. I wrote a patch for WhateverGreen to fix it. You can try it out here: https://github.com/Fraxul/WhateverGreen/releases/tag/1.2.1-a9d24be3

There's more information about how the patch works in the commit: https://github.com/Fraxul/WhateverGreen/commit/a9d24be3e478e18337d2c19a6d5dfe7b29bd88b0

This will only work / do anything if you're on 10.13.6-17G2208 and are using the native Coffee Lake framebuffer (tested with platform-id 3e9b0000).

I haven't upgraded this machine to Mojave yet -- still waiting on the release of Mojave-compatible Nvidia web drivers -- so I'm unable to test/update for later versions.

I'm running 17G2208 and using the native Coffee Lake Framebuffer with the 3e9b0000 platform-id and this patch didn't work for me, it actually broke brightness entirely.

But maybe I'm using it wrong, what exactly is the Whatevername for? I tried running it and I have no idea where to start with it. I installed the whatevergreen.kext from your package and I booted with no brightness at all, not even after 3 minutes. Is there some trick to installing the patch?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on getting Palm Rejection working, please shoot some ideas out. Aside from the 3 minutes of black screen, that's the last thing that needs to be fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back