Contribute
Register

Random system lags (SL 10.6.8 / GA-P55A-UD3 / GeForce 8400 GS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

My system exhibits lags of seconds up to around one or two minutes at random occasions (starting a program, moving a scroll bar, opening folders etc., probably even other operations not directly input related (see below)). The mouse pointer still reacts to movements, but it will mostly show the "wheel of death" when lagging.
During installation from DVD, this used to happen every few clicks. With the finished install, the lags only happen every 5 - 10 minutes or so, apart from which, everything seems to be working as it should.

My installation procedure:
- did a Multibeast install closely following tonymacx86's guide & hints here in the forum
(newest BIOS rev & matching DSDT, BIOS settings AHCI & HPET, all additional hardware pulled before install...)
- installed NVIDIA's native drivers (following hints from another thread) and got full GFX support.

Any ideas as to what might be the thing here...?

I might add:
- using a dual boot config. with Win7 on a separate drive
- have done a clean ML install which was working flawlessly, no lags, no glitches (which probably rules out GFX card, BIOS, corrupted DSDT or anything else hardware-related?).
- had to revert back to SL though because my PCI hardware - which I'm using in Win7 without problems - is not compatible with ML or even Lion (found that out AFTER purchasing the ML upgrade... well, nevermind)
- booting my current SL install in 32bit mode (mentioned PCI cards not good for 64bit), hardware recognized & working fine
- the mentioned lags might not be limited to mouse input, but probably also happen during disk / memory operation etc. Example: During a software install, the progress bar sometimes doesn't move for minutes, but after clicking anywhere into the install window, will jump to "finished".

Tried to fix the lags with the following (found in another thread):

0 Open Terminal
1 sudo su root (enter password)
2 cd /System/Library/Extensions
3 sudo kextunload AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext
4 sudo mv AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext /Extra/Backup\ Extensions/
5 Close Terminal

The poster mentioned "This kext is responsible for HDCP DRM crap"
(No idea what this means or what those commands do precisely, but tried it anyway since the problem described in the thread seemed to relate closely to mine :D)

Result: Kernel panic on shutdown (!?)
After reboot, everything as before - still the occasional lags. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input!! :thumbup:

PS. I had brought this up in an earlier thread, which also contained lots of other issues now solved. Since the old title was not really hinting at my current problem, I took the liberty to start a fresh thread. Thanks.

BTW.
- the lags also happen when booting in 64bit mode.
- it seems that mostly one application is lagging at a time. E.g. when hovering over a program window, there'll be the "wheel of death", and a normal mouse pointer for the rest of the screen. Mostly, the Finder will be affected, though...

This really gets in the way when doing critical work, so I'd be so happy if someone out there had an idea how to fix this.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back