CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently updated OC from .6.7 -> .7.5 and wanted to try the Monterey upgrade from Big Sur.

The upgrade went smooth with no issues, everything was working as it was in Big Sur, except for 1 issue. I'd get random screen freezes after some time and also when I go to either shutdown or restart my screen will instantly freeze, not allowing any mouse or keyboard input.

Tried searching the forum for anyone experiencing a similar issue, but haven't found any in the Monterey forum.

I previously was on Catalina and successfully upgraded to Big Sur without any issues. With the screen freeze issue in Monterey, I've reverted back to Big Sur and all is good again.

I'd like to get an idea of what my problem is and try to do the upgrade to Monterey again.

Attachments

• config.plist
    53 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I also get random freezes on Monterey. My initial thought was that it had to do with the monitor going to sleep, but I now know it can also happen with "Turn display off" set to "Never". For me it always happens when the computer is idle. If I use it actively, it doesn't freeze (so far, anyway).

I workaround for my issue is to run "caffeinate -d" in the terminal. That will somehow stop the computer from freezing. A downside is of course that the monitor never will go to sleep. I've also tried "caffeinate -i" but that didn't stop the computer from freezing.

Not sure if this is related to your issues though. I can always restart/shutdown without problems.

Last edited:
I also get random freezes on Monterey. My initial thought was that it had to do with the monitor going to sleep, but I now know it can also happen with "Turn display off" set to "Never". For me it always happens when the computer is idle. If I use it actively, it doesn't freeze (so far, anyway).

I workaround for my issue is to run "caffeinate -d" in the terminal. That will somehow stop the computer from freezing. A downside is of course that the monitor never will go to sleep. I've also tried "caffeinate -i" but that didn't stop the computer from freezing.

Not sure if this is related to your issues though. I can always restart/shutdown without problems.
Post the output from pmset -g. This will show your current sleep settings, which may help to rule out simple sleep miss-configuration.

Please also post your config.plist - after removing your personal system information - so that others may help find a solution. Thanks.

Post the output from pmset -g. This will show your current sleep settings, which may help to rule out simple sleep miss-configuration.

Please also post your config.plist - after removing your personal system information - so that others may help find a solution. Thanks.
Sure:

Code:
% pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
 standby              0
 Sleep On Power Button 1
 womp                 1
 autorestart          1
 hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
 proximitywake        0
 powernap             0
 networkoversleep     0
 disksleep            10
 standbydelayhigh     86400
 sleep                0
 autopoweroffdelay    259200
 hibernatemode        0
 autopoweroff         0
 ttyskeepawake        1
 displaysleep         30 (display sleep prevented by caffeinate)
 highstandbythreshold 50
 standbydelaylow      86400

Attachments

• config.plist
    30.7 KB · Views: 66
I've been experiencing the same issue. The upgrade from Big Sur 11.6.1 to Monterery 12.0.1 went smoothly and everything, but after 5-10 min of using the computer, the screen freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. I'm going to try this caffeinate -d trick and see if that works for me as well.

I've been experiencing the same issue. The upgrade from Big Sur 11.6.1 to Monterery 12.0.1 went smoothly and everything, but after 5-10 min of using the computer, the screen freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. I'm going to try this caffeinate -d trick and see if that works for me as well.
My system still crashed. Even with the caffeinate -d trick

Your config.plist was not valid according to OpenCore 0.7.5 requirements. I corrected that for you in the attached copy. You should add your personal system information back to that copy, and use it instead (or, make the following edits manually). While it's unlikely that these edits will cure your crashing woes, at least it now conforms to specification.

I have added the following:

Booter -> Quirks:
XML:
            <key>ResizeAppleGpuBars</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>
UEFI -> Quirks:
XML:
            <key>ResizeGpuBars</key>
            <integer>-1</integer>

More information about these edits can be found here. When upgrading OpenCore it's always best to be aware of the differences between versions, and adjust your config.plist accordingly, whenever necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've attached my config.plist to the original post.

Thanks!!

I recently updated OC from .6.7 -> .7.5 and wanted to try the Monterey upgrade from Big Sur.

The upgrade went smooth with no issues, everything was working as it was in Big Sur, except for 1 issue. I'd get random screen freezes after some time and also when I go to either shutdown or restart my screen will instantly freeze, not allowing any mouse or keyboard input.

Tried searching the forum for anyone experiencing a similar issue, but haven't found any in the Monterey forum.

I previously was on Catalina and successfully upgraded to Big Sur without any issues. With the screen freeze issue in Monterey, I've reverted back to Big Sur and all is good again.

I'd like to get an idea of what my problem is and try to do the upgrade to Monterey again.

My problem did not develop in Monterey but a long time ago I got random crashes/freezes. I did all kinds of tests, changed all kinds of hardware in fact I built three different computers with new parts. Wasted many hours on config changes. For me the solution was to turn off XMP in the bios and manually set the bus speed for the memory.

My problem did not develop in Monterey but a long time ago I got random crashes/freezes. I did all kinds of tests, changed all kinds of hardware in fact I built three different computers with new parts. Wasted many hours on config changes. For me the solution was to turn off XMP in the bios and manually set the bus speed for the memory.
Off topic: You just sparked the memory of an old Z68 (Series 6) system I once converted to UEFI (with an experimental BIOS update). Contrary to your experience, after being plagued with random crashes, the only apparent fix was to turn on the XMP profile. Something funky was surely afoot.

Disclaimer: The random weirdness described, is likely not a solution for the OP's problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back