Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have been getting totally random shutdowns on my machine which was built in December 2014.
The crashes started in June and I can’t connect them to any specific software use. It is as likely to shut down when it is idle as when I am using it.

After the computer shuts down it tries to reboot again and again, turning on fans for a second and then stopping. Only once has it actually restarted.
To get it to work again I need to shut down the psu with the power button, then disconnect everything from the psu and push the self test button which then lights green. (it is a Corsair AX760i) Then I connect everything again and start the computer. It may then run for an hour or for a whole day.
Does this mean it is the psu that shuts it down?

I know the psu shuts down if there is a power surge or cut in the input ac or output dc. The apartment has no ground connection, but this has never been a problem before.
Could a software issue cause this?
Or is it more likely to be a hardware thing; psu, motherboard, memory…

The Os is Yosemite 10.10.4.

The build is like this:
Intel Core i7-4930K
ASUS Sabertooth X79
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X
32 GB Crucial Technology BLS4C8G3D169DS3BEU Ballistix Sport
Corsair AX760i

Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD for the system
Seagate Barracuda - 3 TB for storage
WD VelociRaptor 3.5 1 TB for video and audio editing

Also a firewire card and a network card.

I would really appreciate some tips..

17.8 15
I can add that there is nothing in any of the logs that explains this. Just sudden shutdowns. (At least to my and my son's knowledge. He is actually the one who did the installation, using Clover)

Memtest showed no problems.
Temperatures are normal.
No overclocking.

During the last three days the behavior has been developing. Actual restarts are now more common than shutdowns- restart attempts. 8 times already this morning...

I forgot to say that I use a Focusrite Saffire pro24 firewire audio interface for the sound. It has been working fine. The internal sound does not work, but since i don't use it anyway we have not bothered to fi try to fix it.

I have now ordered a new psu. Hope that will fix this, but don't know...
Please comment if you have any thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi Mörkö
The new psu changed nothing. In the end the problem got worse and the computer stopped in the middle of a boot. Could not start at all. We formatted the system disk and installed everything again, this time using Unibeast instead of Clover.
It works fine now, except I cant get into App Store to get the programs I had bought there. Seems like others have had that problem and it has to do with the network setup.
Also the audio interface is acting strange. Hope we can fix these issues when we have time to concentrate on it.
So I would recommend a reformat and install. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back