Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Ive been having odd freezes that started a few weeks ago, at first it was just once every few days, then was every day, and now multiple times a day. I cant exactly pinpoint whats causing it to happen and I don't always get a crash report after force restarting, and the crash reports I have been getting are all a little bit different each time, though mostly all kernel traps.

Only changes Ive made recently before I had these freezes were a NVME installed in a PCI-E adaptor, which I have removed and i'm still getting the freezes, around that time I also reflashed my bios with the same firmware I already had (this was to try to remove a dozen duplicate UEFI entries I had in my bios). Other than that no changes to my otherwise very stable system.

Im running Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2), Clover Boot.

Below are some screen grabs of different error reports.
Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.31.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 10.31.35 PM.png
    918.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 6.01.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 6.01.59 PM.png
    982.1 KB · Views: 37
  • LWScreenShot 2021-03-31 at 12.27.13 PM.png
    LWScreenShot 2021-03-31 at 12.27.13 PM.png
    594.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 1.40.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 1.40.17 PM.png
    895.5 KB · Views: 31
Post a copy of your CLOVER folder so we can see what you are using to boot your system, include a copy of your systems ACPI tables.

To obtain a copy of the ACPI Tables from your system, do the following:
  1. The ACPI Tables can be obtained by pressing the F4 key while on the Clover Boot Screen.
  2. The tables are saved in the background, with no evidence that anything is happening.
  3. So just leave the system for around 30 seconds before doing anything such as booting from the USB installer or selecting your macOS drive.
  4. The ACPI tables will be written to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the USB or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system.
  5. Provide a copy of your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Post a copy of your CLOVER folder so we can see what you are using to boot your system, include a copy of your systems ACPI tables.

To obtain a copy of the ACPI Tables from your system, do the following:
  1. The ACPI Tables can be obtained by pressing the F4 key while on the Clover Boot Screen.
  2. The tables are saved in the background, with no evidence that anything is happening.
  3. So just leave the system for around 30 seconds before doing anything such as booting from the USB installer or selecting your macOS drive.
  4. The ACPI tables will be written to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the USB or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system.
  5. Provide a copy of your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out!

Below are the requested files.

I don't remember making any changes to my clover recently, but, I was thinking and I did install OC on a separate HD to test it out a couple months ago, maybe I screwed something up with this drive and clover in the process...

One other incident I remember, could be irrelevant, but one day my computer froze in Dec (long before these crashes started happening) and I force restarted it and upon restarting it decided to do an auto update, but clover did not choose the update and instead my boot drive then after logging in finder would crash immediatly and nothing would open... forcing me to force restart/shutdown. After choosing the right update at clover, it wouldnt update, I restarted it 10-15 times and then it just decided to finish updating... and it seemed to be fine since then... until about sometime in Feb. when these completely computer crashes started.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    11.9 MB · Views: 25
  • origin.zip
    105.2 KB · Views: 29
Starting to think it may be a RAM issue... I ran MEMtest and one time it ended at 16% (or froze, the cursor was still blinking, but nothing was happening and no matter what keys I pressed nothing happened) It said it had 166 errors. The 2nd time I ran it it made it to 30% before freezing (again cursor still blinking but nothing progressing), with zero errors detected.

Images of Memtest attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.23.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.23.09 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.23.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.23.38 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
So last night I found the app Rember for mac, a Ram Tester. My computer kept locking up in the same fashion just a few minutes into the test. I got the idea from another forum with similar issues to turn of XMP in BIOS (which Ive had on since I made this build almost 4 years ago) and with XMP off I was able to run the Rember test all the way through with a full pass of the ram, but now clocked at 2133 rathe than 3000 as its rated.... Ill be using this build all day so well see if it continues to crash, if not I guess XMP (RAM voltage) was the issue, which confuses me because I never had issues with it before with it on....

So I can confirm no more sudden crashes since disabling X.M.P. in bios (Ram now at 2133 instead of 3000). Not sure why this happened as I've run this system with X.M.P for several years without issue. Could it be the reflash of the bios (though it was to the same firmware # I already had, so unlikely )? or an aging/failing CPU?

My geekbench 5 score is still the same as it was with X.M.P enabled... though I think Ive noticed s little bit of performance issue (kind of sluggish) in Adobe software, but that could be in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back