Motherboard
GA-Z87-D3HP/GA-H55M-D2H/HP ProBook 4540s
CPU
Core i7 4770/Core i5 750/Core i5 3230M
Graphics
nVidia 650Ti Boost/nVidia GT 730/Intel HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello. I've been using an Ivy Bridge i5 Probook 4540s for the past year or so. Use Clover and PBI Clover to boot. It's been a great experience.

However, after updating to 10.10.2 in the last week, I've been experiencing random freezes or extended periods of lag, that last from 2-15 seconds, every half an hour or so. This is when all Chrome tabs go blank, nothing on the Dock is clickable, can't force quit out of active app.

I thought this could be fixed by a fresh install, since I was fully backed up. Installed 10.10.0, didn't notice the problem, but it came back, once I updated to 10.10.2

When I check Console, the only message that corresponds to the time of the freeze is something that reads like this:
07/03/15 11:58:15.785 am powerd[27]: SCPreferences(Power Management configd plugin:com.apple.PowerManagement.xml) lock held for 4.153 seconds
What could be the problem? Or is this a known issue? Really looking for a solution on this.

Hello. I've been using an Ivy Bridge i5 Probook 4540s for the past year or so. Use Clover and PBI Clover to boot. It's been a great experience.

However, after updating to 10.10.2 in the last week, I've been experiencing random freezes or extended periods of lag, that last from 2-15 seconds, every half an hour or so. This is when all Chrome tabs go blank, nothing on the Dock is clickable, can't force quit out of active app.

I thought this could be fixed by a fresh install, since I was fully backed up. Installed 10.10.0, didn't notice the problem, but it came back, once I updated to 10.10.2

When I check Console, the only message that corresponds to the time of the freeze is something that reads like this:
07/03/15 11:58:15.785 am powerd[27]: SCPreferences(Power Management configd plugin:com.apple.PowerManagement.xml) lock held for 4.153 seconds
What could be the problem? Or is this a known issue? Really looking for a solution on this.

Try doing maintaince tasks such as repair permission/rebuild cache. You may try creating a new user account and using other browser. Firefox works fine to me.

Maybe a fresh install of 10.10.2 directly is in order?

Are you using any 3rd party system software? (eg. Boom, SoundFlower, LittleSnitch, etc.)

Going to try running maintenance tasks now. I did a fresh install, however not directly to 10.10.2. Installed 10.10.0 and then updated to current. Not running any third party system software.

-----------------

Okay, tried rebuilding cache and fixing permissions and still nothing. In fact the freezes have gotten even more frequent and longer. They definitely correspond to the powerd lock held for messages on console. Please help, this has gone from annoying to frustrating. :(

Going to try running maintenance tasks now. I did a fresh install, however not directly to 10.10.2. Installed 10.10.0 and then updated to current. Not running any third party system software.

-----------------

Okay, tried rebuilding cache and fixing permissions and still nothing. In fact the freezes have gotten even more frequent and longer. They definitely correspond to the powerd lock held for messages on console. Please help, this has gone from annoying to frustrating. :(

Download patchmatic: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic.
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu

Here you go.

Code:
Pranavs-MacBook-Pro:RehabMan Macintosh$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat   13    2 0xffffff7f822a3000 0x65000    0x65000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
Pranavs-MacBook-Pro:RehabMan Macintosh$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
   21    0 0xffffff7f81f5c000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
   30    0 0xffffff7f81f57000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Attachments

• Pranav’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3 MB · Views: 123
  • RehabMan.zip
    21.7 KB · Views: 77
Here you go.

Code:
Pranavs-MacBook-Pro:RehabMan Macintosh$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat   13    2 0xffffff7f822a3000 0x65000    0x65000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
Pranavs-MacBook-Pro:RehabMan Macintosh$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
   21    0 0xffffff7f81f5c000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>
   30    0 0xffffff7f81f57000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>

Looks normal...

Which bluetooth firmware uploader are you using?
Test without external devices plugged in.
Repatch DSDT.

I'll try repatching DSDT again. Sorry, I'm not too well acquainted with the hardcore coding or backend bit of it, so I usually follow the guides from top to bottom. So I'm not too sure what you mean by bluetooth firmware uploader, doubt I used one, as far as I know. I used the PBI CE guide given by nguyenmac. Also, I had switched my stock wifi card for an Atheros AR5B195 card, and selected the Atheros Bluetooth fix in the Installer. I must admit, that's the only new/different thing I remember doing before the freezes started. Could the problem be lying there somewhere?

I'll try repatching DSDT again. Sorry, I'm not too well acquainted with the hardcore coding or backend bit of it, so I usually follow the guides from top to bottom. So I'm not too sure what you mean by bluetooth firmware uploader, doubt I used one, as far as I know. I used the PBI CE guide given by nguyenmac. Also, I had switched my stock wifi card for an Atheros AR5B195 card, and selected the Atheros Bluetooth fix in the Installer. I must admit, that's the only new/different thing I remember doing before the freezes started. Could the problem be lying there somewhere?

You're likely using IOath3kfrmwr.kext for Atheros bluetooth firmware upload.

Should I not be? Any way to roll that back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back