Contribute
Register

Random Freezes On ProBook 4540s

Status
Not open for further replies.
no , it's not a bad windows setup as i've been using this windows on other 3 PC's not to mention 2 years on this laptop since i bought it.

However, after checking up my event viewer logs i has having a frequent error 11 addressing some ide or whatever i don't recall the exact error. i've mananged to fix my problem by entering in BIOS setup and changing SATA settings from AHCI to IDE. I've reinstalled windows as it came up with a blue screen due to the change. After i reinstalled my problem vanished. So in my case it's a faulty controller, but i've managed to bypass this by switching from AHCI to IDE. Don't know how your operating system works or what the problem might be, but for me that fixed what've i encountered. No more freezes, and to be honest, although some say that IDE is slower than AHCI couldn't notice not even a slight performance difference. peace

FYI: OS X requires AHCI.

Clean installed 10.10.0, haven't updated, the problems persist. I'm dead sure this wasn't happening about 3 months earlier when I was on 10.10.0, so either something has changed in ProBook Installer that is now triggering this issue, or this is a hardware issue altogether. Could this be an HDD issue? What's the best way to confirm or eliminate HDD problems? (I don't have a second laptop HDD handy)

Clean installed 10.10.0, haven't updated, the problems persist. I'm dead sure this wasn't happening about 3 months earlier when I was on 10.10.0, so either something has changed in ProBook Installer that is now triggering this issue, or this is a hardware issue altogether. Could this be an HDD issue? What's the best way to confirm or eliminate HDD problems? (I don't have a second laptop HDD handy)

What is the specific issue?

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

Issue is that my 4540s is still freezing intermittently.

no , it's not a bad windows setup as i've been using this windows on other 3 PC's not to mention 2 years on this laptop since i bought it.

However, after checking up my event viewer logs i has having a frequent error 11 addressing some ide or whatever i don't recall the exact error. i've mananged to fix my problem by entering in BIOS setup and changing SATA settings from AHCI to IDE. I've reinstalled windows as it came up with a blue screen due to the change. After i reinstalled my problem vanished. So in my case it's a faulty controller, but i've managed to bypass this by switching from AHCI to IDE. Don't know how your operating system works or what the problem might be, but for me that fixed what've i encountered. No more freezes, and to be honest, although some say that IDE is slower than AHCI couldn't notice not even a slight performance difference. peace

On Windows, if you're going to use AHCI (recommended), make sure to keep using the Microsoft drivers for AHCI. Don't install the drivers provided by Intel. There is no advantage to the Intel drivers unless you're trying to implement a RAID setup (and HP does not provide support for it in BIOS). The Intel drivers are definitely less stable than the default Microsoft AHCI drivers.

Welp. Looks like it was a hard disk gone bad. Replaced the hdd with a new one. No freezes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back