Contribute
Register

Random Freezes On ProBook 4540s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Tried everything. EC reset. Fresh 10.10.0 install, then updating to 10.10.2. Also tried a fresh 10.10.2 install. Tried removing each ram module to eliminate that. Checked hard drive through HP system diagnostics. Nothing works. Will be most likely shifting to Windows, since these freezes have gotten progressively frequent and longer, making my machine unusable. :(

Or stick with 10.10 then wait for 10.10.3?

where can i download 10.10.0?

It is not available on the Mac App Store at this time. You would have had to download it when it was and save it somewhere.

Problem persists on 10.10.3. Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this? :(

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 4.17.53 PM.png

hello pete, did you manage to find any solution or at least a conclusion of what may be broken? i'm experiencing the exact same problem as you, the difference is that my OS is Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. i've upgraded the bios too, i even bought a new hard drive. have no idea what the problem might be coming from. the hard disk led is full time lit when the freeze happens and the windows becomes completly unresponsive, just as when it would be busy. i've tried several Windows OS's but the problem re-appears eventually. after the bios update looks like the hangs are even longer, response time higher, etc. i'm at the point of throwing it out of the window, really.

hello pete, did you manage to find any solution or at least a conclusion of what may be broken? i'm experiencing the exact same problem as you, the difference is that my OS is Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. i've upgraded the bios too, i even bought a new hard drive. have no idea what the problem might be coming from. the hard disk led is full time lit when the freeze happens and the windows becomes completly unresponsive, just as when it would be busy. i've tried several Windows OS's but the problem re-appears eventually. after the bios update looks like the hangs are even longer, response time higher, etc. i'm at the point of throwing it out of the window, really.

Random freezing with Windows isn't really related to random freezing with Yosemite...

my point is that it might not be software related at all. or at least not operating system. fact he's is experiencing by far anything i experience makes me believe it's probably a laptop fault, rather than a user one. what his conclusion ( if he has one ) might be, it would help me understand the phenomenon better and what needs to be replaced .

my point is that it might not be software related at all. or at least not operating system. fact he's is experiencing by far anything i experience makes me believe it's probably a laptop fault, rather than a user one. what his conclusion ( if he has one ) might be, it would help me understand the phenomenon better and what needs to be replaced .

Agreed. Or it is a bad Windows setup.

no , it's not a bad windows setup as i've been using this windows on other 3 PC's not to mention 2 years on this laptop since i bought it.

However, after checking up my event viewer logs i has having a frequent error 11 addressing some ide or whatever i don't recall the exact error. i've mananged to fix my problem by entering in BIOS setup and changing SATA settings from AHCI to IDE. I've reinstalled windows as it came up with a blue screen due to the change. After i reinstalled my problem vanished. So in my case it's a faulty controller, but i've managed to bypass this by switching from AHCI to IDE. Don't know how your operating system works or what the problem might be, but for me that fixed what've i encountered. No more freezes, and to be honest, although some say that IDE is slower than AHCI couldn't notice not even a slight performance difference. peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back