Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have been experiencing this problem since I installed OS X 10.8.1 (the day 10.8.1 was released). To make things a little easier, I will describe the issue in point-form.

The Issue:

-I heard on the Apple forums that faulty SSD firmware could be the cause of the issue. SSD firmware is updated (Crucial M4), nothing changed.
-Mouse moves, everything else freezes. Cmd + option + escape command does not achieve anything.
-Cpu: 2500K (not overclocked)
-Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 560 (GV-N56GSO-1GI). CUDA driver is installed (currently running version 5.0.37).
-Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
-Currently running OS X 10.8.2
-Crashes have occurred since running my first installation of Mountain Lion (10.8.1)
-Crashes with all of the hardware configurations I attempted.
-Crashes usually happen at random times (mostly once or twice a week, this week they have been happening multiple times each day in some cases.)
-I have not gotten kernel panics warnings

If any of you could provide some suggestions on possible fixes to this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a crucial m4, and my windows freezed sometimes.. I updated firmware but it didnt solve...
What I found was my ssd was almost full (is just 64gb), when I delete about 20gb I never had a freeze again.

I have a lot of ssd, all people love crucial and hate ocz. To be honest, the only ssd that bring me problems was crucial m4. 2ocz agility 3 running perfectly, corsair force 3 and intel 330 same...

I also have a crucial m4, and my windows freeze sometimes.. I updated firmware but it didnt solve...
What I found was my ssd was almost full (is just 64gb), when I delete about 20gb I never had a freeze again.

I have a lot of ssd, all people love crucial and hate ocz. To be honest, the only ssd that bring me problems was crucial m4. 2ocz agility running perfet, corsair force 3 and intel the same...

Oh, I never knew that! I'll try running OS X with another SSD then. Would you recommend using a cloning application or going with a fresh install to try out the SSD?

Oh, I never knew that! I'll try running OS X with another SSD then. Would you recommend using a cloning application or going with a fresh install to try out the SSD?

With a cloning application it should be easier, but to be honest I allways do a clean install. I can't help on that...

One other thing I forgot to mention to you is that I currently have 25GB free on my boot drive (out of 128GB). Would you say that I should I use the same ratio of free space on your 64GB drive rather than the quantity of free space available to try this out? Sorry about the wording in that sentence ha ha, I tried to get it as semi-understandable as I could.

I know in past some people said about 20% free. But if you google now people say you can have it almost full, but the true is my crucial m4 gived me problems when it was almost full... So you need to test it.. Maybe in your case it isn't a ssd problem...

What is the firmware version of your crucial m4?

I am not quite sure about the tile of the M4's current firmware. I updated the SSD to the newest firmware at the time of November I believe. Right now, the latest revision is 040H (released 4th of Dec.), so I would assume that my firmware is the version before that. I just found out that this new firmware was released when searching for it for this post. Would it be wise to update the firmware right now to 040H?

I am not quite sure about the tile of the M4's current firmware. I updated the SSD to the newest firmware at the time of November I believe. Right now, the latest revision is 040H (released 4th of Dec.), so I would assume that my firmware is the version before that. I just found out that this new firmware was released when searching for it for this post. Would it be wise to update the firmware right now to 040H?

If your firmware version is before 0309 version maybe you are having 5200-hour bug.
Go to "about this mac" - serial-ata and you can see there what is your ssd version.

Alright, I found that it says the revision is 010G. I guess I will be updating then. Thank you for your help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back