Contribute
Register

Random freezes (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: approaching 2 days of uptime, twice as much as I'd usually get so something must have helped, or maybe even fixed the problem. Will be able to tell more tomorrow.

Update 2: well into day 3. Looking good.

Update 3: 60 hours uptime - calling it stable/freeze problem fixed.

I also forgot to mention that in these 3 days I haven't been running ut*****t which I usually always have during these freezes, just in case.

In the next days I will undo some changes I've made and see where the system hangs again to uncover this nasty ****ing issue;

for now:
- plugging back my wireless USB mouse
- turning on ut*****t
- I will NOT install back the VoodooHDA kext yet because that would require a reboot, and I don't want that just yet. Instead, to have sound, I'll use an USB interface I own.

Glad to hear you're narrowing this down. Make sure you only undo changes one at at time and you'll isolate the ****er that is giving you fits. By the way, ut*****t is a CPU hog, and that means heat, so if it turns out to be that revisit the heat mitigation strategy.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how you still haven't grabbed that mouse and threw it in a damn wall.

I believe me, I've been tempted.

I'm going to start testing soon, as I am finishing an editing project, but the two things I've noticed is swapping out my old bluetooth dongle (AZIO) for a new one (iogear GBU421).

Also I started using a wired instead of a bluetooth mouse. I was convinced it was the Motorola mouse I was using, but when I paired Mavericks with the Microsoft bluetooth 5000 mouse, freezes began again. If it does turn out to be the mice I will try to get an apple mighty mouse and see if there are any improvements.

Glad to hear you're narrowing this down. Make sure you only undo changes one at at time and you'll isolate the ****er that is giving you fits. By the way, ut*****t is a CPU hog, and that means heat, so if it turns out to be that revisit the heat mitigation strategy.

Good Luck!

Don't worry, I've done just 2 changes, the most "critical" ones, and if everything's fine after this I'm basically in the clear, that's why I'm a little nervous. Because if it freezes at this stage it either means I'd have to get a new mouse OR that the network is being stressed too much (for Atheros!!!) - I'm on a high speed university connection after all - in which case I'm screwed anyway seeing there's no replacement for that kext. Or even worse, if it's really overheating from ut*****t like you said, that makes me think the hackintosh is a piece of disappointing crap anyway, because I hardly doubt the most popular t*****t client would cause something like this on real macs.

I just hope to god it's not network caused, because I honestly don't know what else to do than replace the whole motherboard.

Froze again about 14 hours after I've plugged in my wireless USB mouse and ran ut*****t.

So there you have it, narrowed it down pretty quickly.
It's now down to 3 possibilities:
- it's the USB mouse (hardly doubt it since I was afk when the system froze)
- it's ut*****t
- it's heavy load on the network driver

But I saw just now another thread being made about ut*****t causing system freeze so I'm placing my bets on that.

Next action:
- delete ut*****t, get another t*****t client (transmission) and see if the freeze happens again.
- installing back VoodooHDA kext seeing it apparently wasn't the cause of this.

Will report back.

EDIT:

Yeah not sure what's the meaning of this but the system froze again about 1 hour after the reboot already. So, wasn't ut*****t. At this stage I hope it's the mouse because if it's a network issue I have no idea how I'm gonna tackle this.

It's strange though, it happened 1 minute after I logged into WoW. Such a mind**** because I had WoW running 24hours a day in those 3 days of uptime.

It would also be funny if I found out that the 3day uptime was just a fluke and I'm back to square one.

Gonna unplug internet and see where I land. This time, for a change, I really hope it freezes.

I'va similar problem and my suspect are in network because It happens when I use transmission. Now I try to take off bluetooth usb dongle.

Update it happens about an hour after I start transmission. :problem::problem:

I'va similar problem and my suspect are in network because It happens when I use transmission. Now I try to take off bluetooth usb dongle.

Update it happens about an hour after I start transmission. :problem::problem:

Yep, confirming this. My system has been stable since I stopped all t*****t downloads.

***The freezes are definitely triggered by network load.

Gonna make a new thread about this and see if we can figure anything out.

Quick question, did you guys ever experience freeze after booting up on the login page?

Quick question, did you guys ever experience freeze after booting up on the login page?

Yes but it had nothing to do with this. It happened when I first installed Mountain Lion due to wrong/missing kexts. I think the problem back then was that every time I plugged in a USB drive it froze, so if I left it in during a reboot, it naturally froze at the start up screen because of it. Don't install the USB 3.0 - Universal kext but have it enabled in BIOS. I think that's what worked for me.

I have the same problem. I also think that the problem shows itself when I am downloading t*****t files. I tried all the t*****t clients (ut*****t, Bitt*****t, Vuze, Transmission) but it still freezes randomly.

Has anyone found a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back