Contribute
Register

Random freezes. Hackintosh 2 secs away from sledge hammer. [GA-Z87M-D3H + 4770k + GeForce 8800Ultra]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M-D3H
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
My system:

Z87M-D3H (Bios F8)
Intel 4770k
Geforce 8800 ultra
16mb RAM (G.Skill ripjaw)
Sandisk Extreme II 120gb SSD
TP Link wifi card

I have successfully installed Mavericks on it although it did randomly freeze a few times on OS setup, I put it down to not having run Multibeast yet.

Used these bios settings:

1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold
Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Set to Optimized Defaults.
3. Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1
4. Set XHCI Mode to Auto not Smart Auto
5. Set XHCI Hand-off to Enabled
6. Set EHCI Hand-off to Enabled
8. Set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled
9. Set SATA Mode Selection to AHCI
10. Set PCIe Slot Configuration Gen3

Multibeast settings:

Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC892
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > HDAEnabler
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset Bootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 5,1

I finally managed to install mavericks but I just get completely random freezes. No kernel panics, no text on screen, just freezes.

I have tried:

Swapping HDD for a non-SSD (thought it was maybe because I got the extreme II sandisk but nope)
Removing Geforce and using the onboard graphics
Removing the TPlink Wifi card
moving the dimms around to different slots + combos of single dimms etc
numerous combinations of DSDT files found on other forums, Symbios (imac, mac 3.1 etc)
Complete reinstalls with other
boot loaders + tools.

All result in the same thing - random freezes.

There's nothing in console that is the same when it crashes. The one thing I can do to make it crash without fail is open the maps app. Immediate freeze. Otherwise it just happens randomly, after a few mins.

The only thing I haven't tried is a new motherboard or new ram, I don't have either to try. Short of trying that can anyone help? It's been a week of pure frustration so I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Mark

Try disable XMP in BIOS.

Thanks for responding - unfortunately disabling XMP didnt work...

I have also since tried upping the DRAM voltage to 1.6v, that also didnt work.. :(

Could it be the ram is not compatible? It's the only thing I have not tried changing over...

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

I have the exactly the same problem, though not as severe as yours. However, we do have the same ram and same amount. More importantly, now I can very confidently say that it is a ram issue. I haven't exactly found out what yet, but I found that the computer only freezes when I have 16 gig ram - I did not experience any freeze at all for a long period of time when I took 8 or 12 gigs ram out. So perhaps you can try playing with the ram around a little. I would be interested to see how your situation transpires. Let me know!

P.S.: Not only we have the same ram, we also have same cpu, and wifi card. Motherboards are also similar, I have the Z87X-OC.

It's not the RAM :(

I just went and bought 2 sticks of Corsiar and it's the same deal. Pretty much instant freezing when opening safari or maps.

I';m not sure what else to try before getting a different motherboard.

Can anyone help?

It's not the RAM :(

I just went and bought 2 sticks of Corsiar and it's the same deal. Pretty much instant freezing when opening safari or maps.

I';m not sure what else to try before getting a different motherboard.

Can anyone help?

You Might have a melon motherboard :( What is your video card?

You Might have a melon motherboard :( What is your video card?

I think it might be your Video card. I would try getting your cpu graphics working if you haven't already. then i would give safari and maps a try. When I would boot into safe mode I would get random freezes with safari.

Thanks for the responses guys - it actually turned out to be the TP-Link wifi card I have.

I thought I had tried taking it out but maybe I didn't. I took it out and no more crashes.

I have yet to try Ethernet, I'm hoping it's not a general network problem.

The wifi card is a TL-WN951N - has anyone got one of these working in Mavericks?

Thanks for all of your responses - I really do appreciate it!

i have the same mb with F11 Bios and all run smooth. disable from bios graphics, xhci and ehci enabler. the problem i think is your graphic card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back