Contribute
Register

Random Freezes - GA-Z87 HD3 / GTX 770 (4GB) / i7 4770k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same random freezes. So I was reading a lot in the forums.

setup for this video-server (QLab / Adobe PPro CS6):
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz
Asus GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5
2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHz
Kingston mSATA 120GB SSD
2 x WD Red 3TB - Striped RAID
1 x WD Black 1TB - Backup
Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W
Behringer FCA1616 audio interface
OS X 10.9.5

Did all sorts of things to get this machine to run stable. Updated to the latest BIOS F8 (after running the beta F8 for a while).
But the only thing the really helped, was turning off XMP profile 1. Memory is still runing at its native frequency of 1600MHz.

For now, great!!

UPDATE 2014-10-05

Tried all sorts of things, random freezes kept coming. Narrowed down the problem to the USB 3.0 kext. Freezing occurred when system was connected to my FCA1616 audio interface (USB). When disconnected, system seemed to be stable.
This mobo natively supports USB 3.0 in OS X. So I deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.
Also, back to XMP profile 1.
Now system has been stable (audio interface connected to USB 3.0 port) for 24 hours.
(today first real life use, in a theater, with audience...pfff....)
Fingers crossed!

UPDATE 2014-10-10

nope, freezes kept coming.
I read in the forums (thank you Stork!) how sensitive Gigabyte mobo's can be in picking the right memory. So I replaced my Crucial Ballistix Sport for two new Corsair Vengeance sticks (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10), to match the Memory Support List on the Gigabyte web page for this mobo.
Systems has been stable now for a few days. Rendering, editing, multiple displays. Plugging in and out different USB keyboards, mouses, etc. Just trying to do stuff that with the old memory would freeze the system.
So far so good!
If system freezes again, I'll report back.

UPDATE 2014-10-15

****, still the same freezes
Don't know what to do anymore. Thinking of replacing the mobo. First time I got into so much trouble building a hackintosh. Pfff... Don't like giving up, but this is just to much.
I'm now running OS X of a WD HDD instead of SSD, just to be sure. But no success.
Leave GigaByte and switch to Asus mobo???

UPDATE 2014-10-19

Freezes still there.
Replaced board for Z97x-UD3H-BK - exactly the same freezes.
Also tried OSX 10.10.0 - exactly the same freezes.
:oops:

Last edited:
My build:

Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Core E3 1230V3 3.6 GHz
Gagabyte GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5
2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
M300 256SSD
OS X 10.9.5

After I install Clover, Ramdom Freeze almost gone.

R
ecently I reinstall 10.9.5, however, my hackintosh rebooted around midnight almost everyday. I am not sure if it crashed or just reboot.

From the system log, I saw lots app was running at midnight. I guess Power Nap might be the reason.
But it still reboot this morning even I tuned off Power Nap. Any help?

I had the same random freezes. So I was reading a lot in the forums.

setup for this video-server (QLab / Adobe PPro CS6):
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz
Asus GTX760-DCMOC-2GD5
2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHz
Kingston mSATA 120GB SSD
2 x WD Red 3TB - Striped RAID
1 x WD Black 1TB - Backup
Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W
Behringer FCA1616 audio interface
OS X 10.9.5

Did all sorts of things to get this machine to run stable. Updated to the latest BIOS F8 (after running the beta F8 for a while).
But the only thing the really helped, was turning off XMP profile 1. Memory is still runing at its native frequency of 1600MHz.

For now, great!!

UPDATE 2014-10-05

Tried all sorts of things, random freezes kept coming. Narrowed down the problem to the USB 3.0 kext. Freezing occurred when system was connected to my FCA1616 audio interface (USB). When disconnected, system seemed to be stable.
This mobo natively supports USB 3.0 in OS X. So I deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/.
Also, back to XMP profile 1.
Now system has been stable (audio interface connected to USB 3.0 port) for 24 hours.
(today first real life use, in a theater, with audience...pfff....)
Fingers crossed!

UPDATE 2014-10-10

nope, freezes kept coming.
I read in the forums (thank you Stork!) how sensitive Gigabyte mobo's can be in picking the right memory. So I replaced my Crucial Ballistix Sport for two new Corsair Vengeance sticks (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10), to match the Memory Support List on the Gigabyte web page for this mobo.
Systems has been stable now for a few days. Rendering, editing, multiple displays. Plugging in and out different USB keyboards, mouses, etc. Just trying to do stuff that with the old memory would freeze the system.
So far so good!
If system freezes again, I'll report back.

UPDATE 2014-10-15

****, still the same freezes
Don't know what to do anymore. Thinking of replacing the mobo. First time I got into so much trouble building a hackintosh. Pfff... Don't like giving up, but this is just to much.
I'm now running OS X of a WD HDD instead of SSD, just to be sure. But no success.
Leave GigaByte and switch to Asus mobo???

UPDATE 2014-10-19

Freezes still there.
Replaced board for Z97x-UD3H-BK - exactly the same freezes.
Also tried OSX 10.10.0 - exactly the same freezes.
:oops:

I have the same problem but different mobo...

Z87x-D3H with mavericks and I also tried Asus Z97-A, changed RAM and installed Yosemite but no help...only the CPU and PSU was the same.
I now think that it might be the PSU, will give it a try and change that...

Load Optomized Defaults in the UEFI/BIOS then under 'Peripherals' check the following settings:

xHCI Mode > Auto
XHCI Hand-OFF > Enabled
EHCI Hand-OFF > Enabled

under M.I.T\Advanced Memory Settings > X.M.P. Profile 1
Memory Enhancement Settings > Enhanced Stability

Make Graphics adjustments to suit and disable Wake on LAN option if available under 'Power Management'

@AdrianB:
did all you wrote, especially WoL-setting made my system more stable. But after a few hours system froze again.
I also:
  • removed GTX760 to make sure it's not the graphic card causing the panic
  • only used 1 stick DDR3

UniBeast install went kinda smooth. OS X 10.10.1 / UB 5.02 / MB 7.02
Installed MultiBeast kexts one at a time, using KextUtility in between. Keeping it very basic.

Any more tips?

I have the same problem but different mobo...

Z87x-D3H with mavericks and I also tried Asus Z97-A, changed RAM and installed Yosemite but no help...only the CPU and PSU was the same.
I now think that it might be the PSU, will give it a try and change that...

I'm planning to do the same. Using a BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 10 uptill now, which is compliant to Haswell. But I'll see if a Corsair RM650 will do a better job.
Did replacing your PSU help you?

@AdrianB:
did all you wrote, especially WoL-setting made my system more stable. But after a few hours system froze again.
I also:
  • removed GTX760 to make sure it's not the graphic card causing the panic
  • only used 1 stick DDR3

UniBeast install went kinda smooth. OS X 10.10.1 / UB 5.02 / MB 7.02
Installed MultiBeast kexts one at a time, using KextUtility in between. Keeping it very basic.

Any more tips?

Do NOT set the C or P states in MultiBeast with the 9 series boards - it is known to cause freezes. Make sure that these options are not checked. If they are already installed then you can delete them from your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, then save and reboot.

I'm planning to do the same. Using a BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 10 uptill now, which is compliant to Haswell. But I'll see if a Corsair RM650 will do a better job.
Did replacing your PSU help you?

A BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 10 PSU is pretty high spec - this should not be something that I would expect to be causing any problems.

A BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 10 PSU is pretty high spec - this should not be something that I would expect to be causing any problems.

Yes it is.
But that's how desperate I am.

I just tried to install FakeSMC-plugins / application. After reboot I got a freeze right away. :oops:
I could do without being able to see temps of my system, but nevertheless: system is not stable.

How stable is yours?

Yes it is.
But that's how desperate I am.

I just tried to install FakeSMC-plugins / application. After reboot I got a freeze right away. :oops:
I could do without being able to see temps of my system, but nevertheless: system is not stable.

How stable is yours?

Are you are on F7 or F8 for the UEFI BIOS? I have a 10 year old PCI card that has 4 external USB 2 and 1 internal USB 2 socket fitted. I have been blaming this on the very occasional freeze that I get when plugging in a USB device.

My board is the H87-HD3 fitted with a Intel i5-4440 processor, 8 GB Corsair RAM & GT640 GPU. I have only noticed these freezes happening when using Mavericks, although that is probably just down to coincidence at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back