Motherboard
Asus Z590-I
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Hi all,

I have a problem with my hackintosh.
When I'm editing video in FCP X my system freezes randomly for 1-2 minutes (the colored ball is instead of mouse visible).
I can use my system but FCP X is just hanging. I recognized in activity monitor that the system is reading a mass of data on my SSD, up to 50GB but I don't no what kind of data my system is reading.

An other problem is that my system has sometimes a boot problem where I first see the Apple logo and after this, the
Prohibition sign is appearing. I don't know why this is also happening.

After trying something (I dont't know what I've done, system is booting again normally). But this happened the second time.

Can you help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my hackintosh.
When I'm editing video in FCP X my system freezes randomly for 1-2 minutes (the colored ball is instead of mouse visible).
I can use my system but FCP X is just hanging. I recognized in activity monitor that the system is reading a mass of data on my SSD, up to 50GB but I don't no what kind of data my system is reading.

An other problem is that my system has sometimes a boot problem where I first see the Apple logo and after this, the
Prohibition sign is appearing. I don't know why this is also happening.

After trying something (I dont't know what I've done, system is booting again normally). But this happened the second time.

Can you help me please?

Thanks in advance.

FCP crash may be because of GFX Driver or Some Plugins. Please have a look into system log and FCP logs (If any you know.)

Regarding reading data from SSD, Have you configured file import setting to Leave In Place or Copy to Library ??

Regarding boot issue, please use -v for verbose mode boot to see what error is showing behind the prohibitory sign.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I just installed FCP X without any Plugins. I'm using the latest GFX driver for my GTX980Ti. But reading SSD issue is just happening when I open FCP X.

Regarding reading data from SSD, Have you configured file import setting to Leave In Place or Copy to Library ??

Regarding boot issue, please use -v for verbose mode boot to see what error is showing behind the prohibitory sign.

Ok, I will use -v for verbose mode but I'm sorry, I didn't understand what do you mean with file import settings?

Now I also have sometimes the problem that I'm only allowed to read from SSD but if I want to write something on SSD I got an error message -50.

I just installed FCP X without any Plugins. I'm using the latest GFX driver for my GTX980Ti. But reading SSD issue is just happening when I open FCP X.

If you are keeping all your high resolution raw footages in single hard drive/SSD. Then it will happen while trying to edit all those files in FCP. This is because of heave Read/Write Operations. And most of the time partition of will become invisible.

Ok, I will use -v for verbose mode but I'm sorry, I didn't understand what do you mean with file import settings?

There is a parameter you have to set for importing files to FCP X. One way is keeping files in place where they are and another one is Copy to library (This will keep a copy of all files to the path where the library created.)

Now I also have sometimes the problem that I'm only allowed to read from SSD but if I want to write something on SSD I got an error message -50.

Looks like the partition become unresponsive to heavy IO.

As a work around,
1. Open FCP X
2. Close All Library
3. Create a new Library/Project
4. Import few clips
5. Do some work with those clips.
6. Check whether the hung or heavy disk utilization is arriving or not.

Now I understand what you mean.
I'm copying all my files into FCP X Library, so if I want to change from Mac to an other Mac, I just need to copy the FCP X Library and everything is included.

But now I recognized that I also have freeze problems during normal using like surfing etc. System freezes for 10-20 seconds. I'm also not able to delete or copy anything on/in my SSD. Everytime "Unexpected behaviour... Error code -50" is appearing.
I checked the permissions on my SSD and I have as "System" read & write permission.

Do you know what this issue could be?

Now I was editing in FCP X and got the same problem with no permission to right on SSD.
I took pictures of that in console.
I hope you can help me.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    955.3 KB · Views: 95
What system definition are you using?

Also source of footage shouldn't really matter unless you're editing uncompressed footage (which most people don't).

It's either raw (lossy compression) or mp4 type of files (highly compressed).

Even with red 6k raw I can edit off a regular hard drive.

SSD will be faster of course.

Also a note about FCPX. I don't use it that much but I found out that if you drag and drop your footage manually from finder into the bin, you will have a better time than importing. You might not get all the metadata if you have additional .xml files alongside your footage, but at least it'll be more stable.

I think the freeze issue is not because of FCPX. It is a system issue and I want to find out the root cause.

I configured my mac as iMac 14,2 and installed skylake with OS X 10.12.1.

Might be obvious but have you tried Disk Repair. I had an issue where I couldn't boot into my SSD anymore. Opening my backup, ran disk utility on the SSD and it said my EFI boot partition was damaged. After fixing, it booted fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back