Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Random crashes in Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
@P1LGRIM @pastrychef i am pretty certain that this has something to do with heat. Looks like menu meter plugin shows temperature at 99C or so when freeze happens. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
@P1LGRIM @pastrychef i am pretty certain that this has something to do with heat. Looks like menu meter plugin shows temperature at 99C or so when freeze happens.

99C is very hot for a Skylake CPU. If you are using a water cooler, check that the water pump is working correctly. Take a look to see if fans are clogged with dust.

This is the cooler i have. Fan spins. Other than that I am not sure how to validate if it is working properly...

You were right, there was a lot of dust between fan and radiator.
IMG_20220402_215058.jpg

Cleaned it up. Hopefully that is the only problem.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will keep an eye and update thread in a day or two.

@pastrychef the temp is still hovering above 95C and sometimes 99C. It froze again :( I think it freezes if stays at 100C for a while is my guess. I have ordered a thermal paste. I will remount the CPU cooler again after cleaning. Not sure what else I should try.

@pastrychef the temp is still hovering above 95C and sometimes 99C. It froze again :( I think it freezes if stays at 100C for a while is my guess. I have ordered a thermal paste. I will remount the CPU cooler again after cleaning. Not sure what else I should try.

Make sure the water pump is working correctly. If the liquid is not circulating, it won't cool properly.

@pastrychef thanks, is there way to check that short of installing a new one and compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back