Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Random beach ball for minutes every 5 minutes, freeze and rebooting

I was wondering if using the USB HUB of the monitors can create any issues. I just mapped the usb removing the hub, but do you think plug them back again can be a problem?
No, they plug into the motherboard and those ports if mapped correctly won’t be an issue

Hello,
I am having this issue for a couple of weeks now. It's weird because it just started recently, but I haven't used Hackintosh that much lately so maybe this statement is not really reliable.
Well, my Hackintosh is essentially not usable, every few seconds it start beach balling a lot, whatever I'm doing, can be ableton, can be chrome or just the finder. It simply freezes and I can move The cursor which is the beach ball And just stay like that. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for seconds. Other than this, often it just froze, the cursor as well, and reboot. Another weird thing, sometimes it just bring s me back to the login screen like it rebooted but without showing all the boot process.
I have no idea why it's happening, other than this the desktop have all the functionality (usb, blue tooth, wifi, etc) working fine. I'm also pretty sure that this started happening a few days ago, because i had a music session 2 weeks ago and was not that bad. But nothing changed since then.
My specs are:
Gigabyte z790 aorus elite ax
Intel 13600kf
AMD 6950xt
4 ssd, every of them looks healthy. The one with macos installed is a Kingston nv2.

My efi is here.

Thanks guys
What make are your other SSDs? It’s possible one of the other drives is conflicting and or one may be failing

Last edited:
What make are your other SSDs? It’s possible one of the other drives is conflicting and or one may be failing
I have 4 ssd
1x Kingston nv2 2tb where macOS is installed
1x Kingston nv2 1tb where windows is installed
1x pny 1tb where I put only the games that I run on windows
1x crucial mx500 1tb that is partitioned in 2. 500gb shared as ex fat between windows and Mac and 500gb only for Windows stuff.

can the shared ssd be the issue?

Last edited:
Looks like an improvement, two controllers showing now. One with 1 USB2 port and the other with 12 ports of which 7 are USB3, 4 are USB2 and 1 is set internal. No USBC ports have been identified of which you have several but possibly not using, only you know.
Good start, it may be that this EFI you are using is only partially developed. No real comments on his GitHub page to judge by, just the EFI folder itself. Have you seen the other posts on this site using a similar build?

See here and possibly try this EFI. Give the pager a read as he made changes to his original posted EFI and he doesn't have any of the kexts needed for intel wireless or bluetooth. The 690 and 790 are very very similar as you may be aware.
There is 2usb-c but the one in the back I don’t use it at all while the one on front is actually mapped and it’s working.

About using this EFI, I have to say that this is the only efi I found which is not triggering a really annoying problem that I never managed to fix which is the 3/4 minutes black screen with no verbose error before the login screen.
Besides,, this is the only efi with the same CPU as mine. I can try another one as well, I'm just wondering what is wrong with the current one since it looks pretty legit to me (except the USB)

Last edited:
I was thinking that another thing I changed recently is the csrutil value in the config, but maybe is wrong or not needed. Now is null, but don't know if is related.

I have 4 ssd
1x Kingston nv2 2tb where macOS is installed
1x Kingston nv2 1tb where windows is installed
1x pny 1tb where I put only the games that I run on windows
1x crucial mx500 1tb that is partitioned in 2. 500gb shared as ex fat between windows and Mac and 500gb only for Windows stuff.

Your symptoms could well be related to a failing drive.
The obvious diagnostic process is to disconnect all other drives than the one that the OS is installed on and then test.
If all is ok then add another drive and test again etc.

ex-FAT is an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

I was thinking that another thing I changed recently is the csrutil value in the config, but maybe is wrong or not needed.
Could possibly be related but not as likely as a failing drive because your system boots ok.

Your symptoms could well be related to a failing drive.
The obvious diagnostic process is to disconnect all other drives than the one that the OS is installed on and then test.
If all is ok then add another drive and test again etc.

ex-FAT is an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

Could be related but not as likely as a failing drive because your system boots ok.
Thanks, man, I checked the health of the disks, and looks good but the timing between the disk that I added to my system and the beginning of the problem makes sense. Will try to disconnect it and report back.
Thanks all you guys, really appreciated

Is the Kingston nv2 not suitable to run macOS?

Is the Kingston nv2 not suitable to run macOS?
It's not the best choice as it uses a Phison PS5021-E21 controller, possibly not an issue, but it isn't a highly regarded drive even outside of Hackintoshing. Tom's Hardware calls that drive "Cheap But Risky".
We have tried to rule out EFI issues but it does seem to be hardware related at this point, best to try @P1LGRIM suggestion.

Last edited:
It's not the best choice as it uses a Phison PS5021-E21 controller, possibly not an issue, but it isn't a highly regarded drive even outside of Hackintoshing. Tom's Hardware calls that drive "Cheap But Risky".
We have tried to rule out EFI issues but it does seem to be hardware related at this point, best to try @P1LGRIM suggestion.

I'm gonna try this:
1. Will format the shared partition as APFS, there is nothing really important so it's not an issue. It is a Crucial mx500 that should be well-supported with macOS.
2. If deleting the shared partition does not solve the issue, I will clone the OS to the Crucial mx500. The point is, I hope using the faulty OS will let me do that. Otherwise, maybe I can try with Clonezilla to clone the disk in Windows.

Back