Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Random beach ball for minutes every 5 minutes, freeze and rebooting

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
CPU
i5-13600KF
Graphics
RX 6950 XT
Hello,
I am having this issue for a couple of weeks now. It's weird because it just started recently, but I haven't used Hackintosh that much lately so maybe this statement is not really reliable.
Well, my Hackintosh is essentially not usable, every few seconds it start beach balling a lot, whatever I'm doing, can be ableton, can be chrome or just the finder. It simply freezes and I can move The cursor which is the beach ball And just stay like that. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for seconds. Other than this, often it just froze, the cursor as well, and reboot. Another weird thing, sometimes it just bring s me back to the login screen like it rebooted but without showing all the boot process.
I have no idea why it's happening, other than this the desktop have all the functionality (usb, blue tooth, wifi, etc) working fine. I'm also pretty sure that this started happening a few days ago, because i had a music session 2 weeks ago and was not that bad. But nothing changed since then.
My specs are:
Gigabyte z790 aorus elite ax
Intel 13600kf
AMD 6950xt
4 ssd, every of them looks healthy. The one with macos installed is a Kingston nv2.

My efi is here.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Hello,
I am having this issue for a couple of weeks now. It's weird because it just started recently, but I haven't used Hackintosh that much lately so maybe this statement is not really reliable.
Well, my Hackintosh is essentially not usable, every few seconds it start beach balling a lot, whatever I'm doing, can be ableton, can be chrome or just the finder. It simply freezes and I can move The cursor which is the beach ball And just stay like that. Sometimes for minutes, sometimes for seconds. Other than this, often it just froze, the cursor as well, and reboot. Another weird thing, sometimes it just bring s me back to the login screen like it rebooted but without showing all the boot process.
I have no idea why it's happening, other than this the desktop have all the functionality (usb, blue tooth, wifi, etc) working fine. I'm also pretty sure that this started happening a few days ago, because i had a music session 2 weeks ago and was not that bad. But nothing changed since then.
My specs are:
Gigabyte z790 aorus elite ax
Intel 13600kf
AMD 6950xt
4 ssd, every of them looks healthy. The one with macos installed is a Kingston nv2.

My efi is here.

Thanks guys
XhciPortLimit should be disabled if you have setup your USB Ports correctly:

also test your system by disabling:
CPUFriend.kext
CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
(reset nvram when you make any EFI changes)

XhciPortLimit should be disabled if you have setup your USB Ports correctly:

also test your system by disabling:
CPUFriend.kext
CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
(reset nvram when you make any EFI changes)
Hello, thanks for your help. I tried to disable everything but still the same issue.
I ran a cinebench before disabling cpu friend and the result were correct compared to the windows one.
The thing that is weird is that i ran also a black magic disc test and the write of the disk was really bad, starting at 2000mbps and drop At 51mbps, also freezing and stuttering.
The disks are healthy tho

Hello, thanks for your help. I tried to disable everything but still the same issue.
I ran a cinebench before disabling cpu friend and the result were correct compared to the windows one.
The thing that is weird is that i ran also a black magic disc test and the write of the disk was really bad, starting at 2000mbps and drop At 51mbps, also freezing and stuttering.
I checked your USB setup and you have too many ports enabled

also what is the make and model of your NVME?

Your USB Mapping is all kinds of wrong and is causing conflicts that are bringing your machine to its knees. There are 25 different ports enabled and only one USB controller identified (which also must be incorrect). Typically there are at least two controllers on current motherboards and sometime more if you have thunderbolt.

There is a 15 port limit in macOS and exceeding that or having USB ports mapped incorrectly will always cause problems from freezing to reboots. I can see you inherited the entire EFI from WuLongMiTaoLaiYiDa on Github but that's one of the issues you get to deal with if you don't build your own EFI or source a golden build here.

@Feartech is correct, you will need to dig in and get a handle on properly mapping your ports. You can use the link he posted or if you have windows installed try USBToolBox yourself from Github.

thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'm gonna try the method with the USBtoolbox, I didn't know having too many USB can create big issues, to be honest.
@Feartech the nvme is a kingston nv2

I was wondering if using the USB HUB of the monitors can create any issues. I just mapped the usb removing the hub, but do you think plug them back again can be a problem?

thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'm gonna try the method with the USBtoolbox, I didn't know having too many USB can create big issues, to be honest.
@Feartech the nvme is a kingston nv2
One caveat, none of the solutions available for mapping USB Ports, especially on newer intel motherboards, get it 100% right. It's a bit, or sometimes a lot, of trial and error. I always try to make notes about the ports I am mapping, and what type of port they are, and then compare it to the results in the finished kext. If there are issues with the mapping, like bluetooth doesn't work or if the machine doesn't sleep and wake properly, you can edit the results until it does.

These are the USB Ports Gigabyte says that board has:

Chipset:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C® port on the back panel, with USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 support
  2. 1 x USB Type-C® port with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
  3. 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel
  4. 5 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (3 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
Chipset+2 USB 2.0 Hubs:
  1. 8 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

I made the new UTBmap, discovered and selected only 13 ports. Not sure that is correct, but still getting the beach ball and the freeze

I made the new UTBmap, discovered and selected only 13 ports. Not sure that is correct, but still getting the beach ball and the freeze
Looks like an improvement, two controllers showing now. One with 1 USB2 port and the other with 12 ports of which 7 are USB3, 4 are USB2 and 1 is set internal. No USBC ports have been identified of which you have several but possibly not using, only you know.
Good start, it may be that this EFI you are using is only partially developed. No real comments on his GitHub page to judge by, just the EFI folder itself. Have you seen the other posts on this site using a similar build?

See here and possibly try this EFI. Give the pager a read as he made changes to his original posted EFI and he doesn't have any of the kexts needed for intel wireless or bluetooth. The 690 and 790 are very very similar as you may be aware.

Back