CPU
4.01 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My Hackintosh currently has 64G of RAM, which according to the mobo specs, (Gigabyte Z170X-UD3-F6) is maxed out. Considering that would be spec'd for windows, is there any way I can up the amount of RAM and would my hack support it?
Currently running Big Sur.

My Hackintosh currently has 64G of RAM, which according to the mobo specs, (Gigabyte Z170X-UD3-F6) is maxed out. Considering that would be spec'd for windows, is there any way I can up the amount of RAM and would my hack support it?
Currently running Big Sur.
if you board is maxed out at 64MB, then how can you add more?

Maximum is determined by the chipset, and the 'width' of the address bus.
No point in putting more RAM in than the system can talk to.

if you board is maxed out at 64MB, then how can you add more?
That was my question, what is the limiting factor, but it appears its a hardware limit.

The motherboard/CPU sets the memory limit. Yours is set at 64GB.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 18.42.12.png

About the only way you could improve the RAM is by using faster Memory DIMMs. If you have basic 2133MHz RAM then upgrading them to 3400MHz or 3466MHz RAM might give your system a bit of a boost. But I don't think you would actually notice the difference in normal use.

Even swapping your Skylake i7-6700K for a Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU wouldn't give your system much of a boost, as there is only a 4-6% improvement between the two unlocked CPUs.

Carefully OverClocking your Skylake CPU might make up the same difference.

The long and the short of this is that if you want a system that supports 128GB of RAM, you need to change your CPU, Motherboard and RAM, possibly the PSU too depending on what you are currently using in your circa 2015 system.

Back