Contribute
Register

RAM not recognized properly under Snow Leopard 10.6.8??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys!

I've recently acquired a hackintosh - well, I've bought the parts and official Snow Leopard OS and built the machine but I didn't install the machine, had someone at my computer shop install the OS especially because it's a multi-boot rig, but still a curious thing happens - the RAM isn't being recognized properly... I'm provisionally using 3 x 2GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM and it indicates that I'm using DDR2 RAM although it is of the correct amount and speed... is that an issue or just one of those cosmetic things? I'm planning on buying Corsair Dominator 1600 12GB DDR3's...

Also, My graphics card isn't being properly recognised, I still haven't found out if this issue really is troublesome or not, my graphics card is the XFX 6870 2GB Dual Fan, being shown as being a ATI Radeon NI40... So far I haven't found any issue with it although Final Cut's rendering time has been somewhat appallingly slow, although that might have something to do with the fact that I haven't installed proper Capture Scratch and Render discs... On that issue, I've had two 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green drives with which Snow Leopard didn't want to boot but didn't mind to accept once booted. I've now gotten a pair of 1TB drives, and I was wondering how to format them... My idea was to assign 1 disc to each OS, and I wanted them to be in a format that both OS's could read and write to if possible... any suggestions? Many thanks in advance for all help!!!

Hi guys!

I've recently acquired a hackintosh - well, I've bought the parts and official Snow Leopard OS and built the machine but I didn't install the machine, had someone at my computer shop install the OS especially because it's a multi-boot rig, but still a curious thing happens - the RAM isn't being recognized properly... I'm provisionally using 3 x 2GB of Kingston DDR3 RAM and it indicates that I'm using DDR2 RAM although it is of the correct amount and speed... is that an issue or just one of those cosmetic things? I'm planning on buying Corsair Dominator 1600 12GB DDR3's...

Also, My graphics card isn't being properly recognised, I still haven't found out if this issue really is troublesome or not, my graphics card is the XFX 6870 2GB Dual Fan, being shown as being a ATI Radeon NI40... So far I haven't found any issue with it although Final Cut's rendering time has been somewhat appallingly slow, although that might have something to do with the fact that I haven't installed proper Capture Scratch and Render discs... On that issue, I've had two 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green drives with which Snow Leopard didn't want to boot but didn't mind to accept once booted. I've now gotten a pair of 1TB drives, and I was wondering how to format them... My idea was to assign 1 disc to each OS, and I wanted them to be in a format that both OS's could read and write to if possible... any suggestions? Many thanks in advance for all help!!!
Please follow the forum rules and enter your hardware in your profile. Hard to give good advice without knowing hardware and my crystal ball is broken - I cannot see your system.

Parts displayed in "About this Mac" are cosmetic. At this point I would not worry about it. IIRC HD6xxx series AMD GPUs did not get full support until Lion 10.7.2 or thereabouts. 10.6.8 added support for the HD5xxx series.
WD Greens are notorious for not working as a boot drive and one of the main causes of Boot0 error complaints.Get a WD Black or a SSD for your boot drive.

but how doesn't it recognize RAM? (got 2X 1600mhz G.skill Ripjaws)
Not sure where About This Mac gets its info - I've never had a problem with it.
You do realize your X58A uses triple channel RAM and having only 2 sticks is slowing you down? If you are using dual channel RAM this can also cause problems on a triple channel system. You need at least 3 matched RAM modules capable of triple channel mode to get the best from your system. 6 x 4GB is what I have in my signature build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back