Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Here's my problem. I reinstalled lion and got the latest version (10.7.2). After I was done installing. I installed the ralink driver (rt2860). Restarted my computer and it initially connected to the first open wifi in our neighborhood. It used to the same thing before in previous versions of lion and snow leopard. But I would have the option of choosing my wifi name. This time around it won't let me select my wifi name. The only way to do this is to remove the password from my wifi connection. I don't want to do this because other people would connect to my network. Anybody has an idea on how to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, there is 3 solutions:
1/ Ask Ralink to compil their wifi utility for osx 10.7.2
2/ Rollback to OSX 10.7.1
3/ Change your wifi card for a genuine Apple airport compatible card (BCM94322 , AR5BXB92)...

which means you have to assemble your own apple wifi card just to be sure

UPDATE

I had and still have the same problem. The Ralink utility can't create profiles nor connect to networks other than open ones. But I have found whats causing this and made a bypass (sort of).

The utility creates the profiles in /Library/Preferences/com.Ralink.RaConfig.plist

1. In 10.7.2 the Ralink utility can´t save settings to /Library/Preferences/com.Ralink.RaConfig.plist. Dunno why tough,yet.
2. I copied the preference file from my 10.6.8 installation and now the utilty uses my profile from SL and connects to my router!

jamas said:
I had and still have the same problem. The Ralink utility can't create profiles nor connect to networks other than open ones. But I have found whats causing this and made a bypass (sort of).

1. In 10.7.2 the Ralink utility cant save settings to system/libraries/preferences. Dunno why tough,yet.
2. I copied the preference file from my 10.6.8 installation and now the utilty uses my profile from SL and connects to my router!

Are you referring to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist ?

rals2007 said:
Are you referring to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist ?

Thank you for correcting me. I was at bit tired. :)
I¨m referring to /Library/Preferences/com.Ralink.RaConfig.plist

com.Ralink.RaConfig.plist contains the P'profiles for the Ralink utility. In SL the utility can save to that file. Not in Lion 10.7.2.

macbookpro32 said:
Here's my problem. I reinstalled lion and got the latest version (10.7.2). After I was done installing. I installed the ralink driver (rt2860). Restarted my computer and it initially connected to the first open wifi in our neighborhood. It used to the same thing before in previous versions of lion and snow leopard. But I would have the option of choosing my wifi name. This time around it won't let me select my wifi name. The only way to do this is to remove the password from my wifi connection. I don't want to do this because other people would connect to my network. Anybody has an idea on how to solve this problem?

Use the Wireless Utility app of RT2870 (USB) for Lion.
Note: Only the Wireless Utility app. Not the driver. Use Pacifist.

It's weekend, so i can't test it.

Using any of the available varieties of the Ralink utility on 10.7.2, including the official Lion utility and driver on the Ralink site, does not seem to allow selection of a network (connects automatically to first available unencrypted network) and does not allow profile creation.

Can anyone post a template of an existing profile as well as instructions as to where it should be placed in order to temporarily deal with this issue? I'm a bit lost here. Adapter works (ASUS USB-N13), detected in Network Prefs and by the Wireless Utility, and connects to the only unencrypted network that it picks up (though it detects all available networks in the scan), but does not allow me to do anything else.

Guys try new drivers from ralinks webpage version 4.1.8.
They fixed the same problems for my 2870 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back