i7-920
Graphics
GTX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Ok, i installed SL on a single drive. Then i formed a raid of two raptors i had (mac os X software raid). I restored the single drive onto the raid array, but ofc i can't boot from it. So now i'm using the first drive (with the whole SL installed), just to enter chameleon and then select one of the raid drives, and it works flawlessly, 200 MB+ transfers, low seek times and so on.

The question is, can i replace the single hard drive i use just to enter chameleon with some sort of bootable old USB (few hundred MB), and what would i need to install there. Just chameleon or /Extra or even something else.

Thanks for assistance.

Yeah, you could make a USB stick booter. Format as GUID with HFS+ as normal.

1. It's good to ensure that the "Ownership on this volume is disabled" box is not selected. You'll find this at the bottom of the panel you get from a Show Info on the volume. This needed to be able to allow ownership to be defined and correctly use/rebuild Extensions.mkext.

2. Copy over your working /Extra folder. Check/set permissions and ownership.

3. Load Chameleon to the USB stick.

Certainly nice to have a USB boot stick, especially for testing/messing around. But when you have it all nice, you can also enable boot from the RAID by following the instructions for loading Chameleon (manually) to a RAID array, as contained in the Chameleon readme (so loading Boot0, Boot1h and boot to the "Boot OSX" partition on each disk in the RAID), plus also need to load /Extra to each "Boot OSX" partition. At least, I've not yet seen a way to make use of /Extra on the "RADED" volume.

Note that with Chameleon RC5 (and possibly earlier) it is NOT necessary to copy mach_kernel to each partition. Also, (from memory) I think the UUID to use in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is the volume's UUID, not the RAID Identifier. But might be not even needed on latest Chameleon.

humph said:
Note that with Chameleon RC5 (and possibly earlier) it is NOT necessary to copy mach_kernel to each partition. Also, (from memory) I think the UUID to use in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is the volume's UUID, not the RAID Identifier. But might be not even needed on latest Chameleon.

It is needed (the raid's uuid) in the latest version of Chameleon without it you do not have automatic booting as it cannot find the array when first loading letting it timeout or selecting the volume it pops up in the boot prompt will then find the com.apple.Boot.plist contained in one of the helper partitions..

Edit: And as I discovered today when upgrading to 10.6.6 you definitely need to copy the mach_kernel into the helper partitions as I forgot to do it and was booted into the 10.5.0 version that was still in them instead of the 10.6.0 that I got once I copied in the new one from my /. I'm using the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 boot file from the Multibeast 3.0.2 r681 if memory serves me for anyone searching/interested in the topic.

Managed to do it, thanks for your help.

You don't need the kernel. Probably if it's there it uses it, but i didn't copy it and it still works.

The only thing i copied was the /Extra, boot0 and boot1h. To both helper partitions.

I used the RC5 r700 chameleon, using this procedure: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=160467

lukarak said:
Managed to do it, thanks for your help.

You don't need the kernel. Probably if it's there it uses it, but i didn't copy it and it still works.

The only thing i copied was the /Extra, boot0 and boot1h. To both helper partitions.

I used the RC5 r700 chameleon, using this procedure: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=160467

That is the copy it uses if it is in the helper partition that is for certain. That is how I got booted with the old kernel upon upgrading and forgetting to copy in. From your description of it I think I am going to give it a try with only the boot files installed nothing else in helpers and see if it uses everything from your normal / on the RAID for booting.

Edit: Yep needs the /Extra in there no kernel though thanks for posting that is one less thing to remember on upgrade now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back