Contribute
Register

Radeon VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of ordering on Thursday, any opinions?

@JozoR,

Official release is not until Feb 7th so it might be worth holding off for a few weeks until we know for sure that it works and any MacOS patches/fixes needed are ready .. i suspect that WhatEverGreen will need to be updated to support the Radeon VII's hardware id's and frame-buffers.

Of course if your happy to be a tester/debugger then feel free to go ahead :) I could be wrong but be prepared to do some digging, patching, coding ... etc as i doubt it will be a drop in and go solution .. at least for the initial month or so.

Will be interesting to see how well it works and its real-world performance advantage in MacOS over Vega 64.

Cheers
Jay

Pretty sure I will be jumping on it Thursday.

@ModMike,

Please keep us updated on your progress via this thread .... I suspect you will have some issues with getting the fans under control but if you can supply the developer of the VGTab utility with some ioreg dumps and hardware id's he should be able to add support for the Radeon VII .. same goes for WhatEverGreen.

Hopefully AMD & Apple haven't changed too much with the MacOS drivers so you should be able to manually inject and/or alter the PP_ device properties via clover :-

You might also get the black screen on boot issue that plagued the Vega 56 & 64 until the fix was implemented in WhatEverGreen and/or Clover that one might be fixable initially by using a FakeID with the value that the new MacBook Pros with Vega 20 GPU use ...

Cheers
Jay

Watching this thread with interest.

Assuming one doesn't need CUDA and the Radeon VII ends up being compatible with macOS, it could be a good option for GTX 1080Ti owners. 1080Ti still sells for a decent price second hand.

Where do you place the order and at what time?

I haven't seen any pre order listings so it may be a 7th pre order date. I'm gonna poke around my local retailer tomorrow afternoon and pop in on Thursday at opening. If they have them I will grab one for testing.

They have a Vega 56 for $349 right now so I'm thinking they may be getting some of these cards.

Well, some not so good news on this card. I picked one up a Powercolor Radeon VII and testing isn’t working out so well. Initial startup ended up with a very small window see pics. Although it has the device ID in the 10000Controllerkext it is missing from the 5000kexts series. After editing the info.plists it still doesn’t work with acceleration.
I wrastled with the display settings to get a full screen but as you can see it’s full of artifacts and defects.

We have to wait for drivers or at least framebuffer mod. And drivers will probably come in 10.14.5 as 10.14.4 is already in beta without any hint of drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back