CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey folks,

I use an X99 rig (i7-6800k, 32GB Ram, Asus X99-a/USB3.1. GTX 1060) and am looking to upgrade the gpu to a Radeon VII. My research tells me that I'll need to have at least 10.14.6 Mojave to be able to use it. I'd like to avoid Catalina because a lot of stuff I use for imports/exports have been removed in regards to avid. Can anyone add some advice? I'd prefer it over the 5700 XT for its extra VRAM since I do editing first and video games second. Thanks.

Hey folks,

I use an X99 rig (i7-6800k, 32GB Ram, Asus X99-a/USB3.1. GTX 1060) and am looking to upgrade the gpu to a Radeon VII. My research tells me that I'll need to have at least 10.14.6 Mojave to be able to use it. I'd like to avoid Catalina because a lot of stuff I use for imports/exports have been removed in regards to avid. Can anyone add some advice? I'd prefer it over the 5700 XT for its extra VRAM since I do editing first and video games second. Thanks.

You can't use the RX 5700 XT if you want to run MacOS Mojave as the card is only supported in MacOS Catalina (and later).

So if you can still find a Radeon VII then you should be able to run Mojave with it.

Here's a post and thread I wish I had found a long time ago: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ncoding-instead-of-intels.277372/post-1957914

With COVID, I'm away from my main system that's in my profile there. So I haven't been able to try all the options yet. But in short 10.14.6, as well as recent Catalina, have dGPU based hardware-accelerated encoding. Since X99 and X299 can't use Quicksync, it gives us an option that's faster than CPU-based, even if it probably is lower quality even than Intel's IQS. Which I suppose is already questionable, if you really care about the export. But, options.

Great card especially given the 32 bit thing, which effects me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back