i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

Having a weird issue with my Radeon VII and not sure if anyone has encountered this. It works great upon starting up, and I have not had this issue ever with my Vega 64 which my system has been rock solid with. Whenever I try and use my Radeon VII that I've been testing out with my production rig, it runs smooth at first, and, then, once it's been booted for a few hours, it starts to really slow and my whole system graphics become considerably glitchy. Bringing up the dock is slow and choppy, mousing between applications is glitchy and sluggish, FCP X becomes choppy as well, etc.

My iGPU is enabled as I need this for H264 encoding for the video editing I do.

When I restart my computer, this gets fixed and the system goes back to functioning correctly. All my kexts are updated, I'm on the latest BIOS, I'm on iMac 18.3 system definition, and my Mac OS is updated to the latest. I've done a Vanilla Hackintosh install and everything was running perfect before this.

Here's my system info:
i7-8700k
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
Radeon VII/Vega 64
G. Skill Trident Z 3200mhz 32GB

Oh interesting! Curious if that fixed the issue, let me dig through his past posts.

@MattRobertson,

@pastrychef had/has the same problem with his Radeon VII. He had to RMA it.

Oh interesting! Curious if that fixed the issue, let me dig through his past posts.

My problems were a little different. My Radeon VII worked fine and would continue to work fine for days on end. The only issue I had was with sleep/wake. It would go in to sleep fine but wake was a problem.

Eventually, my Radeon VII stopped outputting any video at all, even from a cold start, and I sent it back for RMA.

Got it, okay good to know! I feel like I'm in the same boat as you, have a solid working system with my Vega 64 but would really love to put this VII to use but right now I just can't justify it. Stability is more important for me right now since I'm a freelance video editor by trade.

Really hoping once the new Mac Pro comes out the support gets better for these cards.

Got it, okay good to know! I feel like I'm in the same boat as you, have a solid working system with my Vega 64 but would really love to put this VII to use but right now I just can't justify it. Stability is more important for me right now since I'm a freelance video editor by trade.

Really hoping once the new Mac Pro comes out the support gets better for these cards.

Yeah, I really wanted to use my Radeon VII too. I tried everything short of consulting a voodoo witch but couldn't get wake to work and, eventually, the card just bit the dust.

Having gone through what I did with my Radeon VII, I would suggest continue to testing to make sure nothing is wrong with the card. Do some testing in Windows if possible.

It's been working great in windows! Gaming with it is really nice

Hi,
How did you get the igpu working with the Radeon VII? I get kernel panics when I activate it in bios...
Thanks!

Just enable it in BIOS and set dGPU to be primary. Don't enter any ig-platform-id or device-id in your config.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back