Register

Radeon VII Dumb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
2 x Xeon X5690
Graphics
RX 580
Hi all, I’m new to the forums and to computer hardware in general. I started getting into Mac hardware in December and fell in love with it, and stumbled across this wonderful site.

I’m currently running a Mac Pro 5,1 with 2 Xeon x5690’s, 128GB of RAM, and a Radeon RX 580 8GB.

I found a screaming deal on a Radeon VII that I couldn’t pass up. I have parts coming in for the Pixlas mod, but due to the Chinese New Year and the recent outbreak of Coronavirus, it’s going to be a while before the parts get here.

I suppose my question is this: do I need the Pixlas mod before I install the Radeon VII, like is it truly necessary or will the 2 6-pin to 8-pin adapters + the PCI slot suffice? I don’t plan on doing anything taxing until I finish the Pixlas mod, just some web browsing and possibly some video editing. Thanks! :)

My hack works very good with the Radeon VII.
I don't know, what the Pixlas mod is, but what I can say is that the 2 6-pin to 8-pin adapters & the PCI slot suffice. You must have an adequate power supply (at least 550W).

you can run the VII from just the PCI power sources, but you need to tune it. Check the Mac Pro forums at macrumors.com for details, you'll have to have it up and running before you can tune it though.
I'm powering mine from the 2x6-to-8 PCI slot and a Sata to 8-pin from the CD/DVD bay.
You have a 1000Watt powersupply in the Mac Pro, so no worries there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back