Graphics
RX 580,Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,pals.I recently bought a Sapphire Radeon VII to upgrade my "old" Sapphire RX 580 because I thought it would be a good upgrade for my Hackintosh. The problem is that I see that my new graphic card with an incredible amount of VRAM is consuming that amount of VRAM doing nothing, only web surfing, Office...and occasionally watch some Netflix or Disney+.
I have installed iStat Menu to watch temperatures, cpu usage, HD and SSD capacity and it is there where I see that graphic memory is overloaded, in my opinion.
To monitorize my Radeon I have installed Radeon Sensor 0.3.1 kexts and I'm on OC 0.7.8 with all my kexts updated, MacOS Monterey update 12.2
Can it be a bad monitoring by iStats or Radeon Sensor kext?? Or maybe a problem in Radeon VII with MacOS drivers?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-01-29 a las 10.30.57.png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-01-29 a las 10.30.57.png
    263 KB · Views: 40
macOS seems to leave assets in VRAM until the space is needed for something else so it will slowly fill under any usage scenario. VRAM usage reports currently occupied memory, but not necessarily currently required memory. The assets kept on standby will be purged out if you actively need the VRAM for something else.

Thank you for your replay,Shamgar.So as you have explained,MacOS uses the VRAM in the way it uses the system RAM,loading apps in memory to have fast access if you need them? So, I don't have to be worried about the VRAM consuming?.

That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back