Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Radeon RX 580 fans spinning fast on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be related to Lilu, WEG or AppleALC as per your screenshot... Maybe trying older versions of those kext and be sure there are no other copies in System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions.

Last edited:
Image doesn't tell us much, you need to get an image of the text before this stop point, so we can see what is causing the kernel panic.

The three kexts mentioned on the image/text, are not the cause of the KP. They were simply the last kexts loaded. This stop screen is a common scenario, where the issue that caused the KP is mentioned before the final stage.

Hey guys,

sorry, it took some time to me to reply.
I have attached some screenshots, sorry for the bad quality, they are exported from a video, and my camera on my phone is not the best.
Hope you can see something, otherwise I can get a better camera and record in slowmo.

This is Edhawks EFI booting, except I added AptioMemoryFix-64 under /drivers64UEFI to get passed the EndRandomSeed Problem.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greets,
Ben

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    15.1 MB · Views: 35
Looks like an issue caused by SSDT-PLUG.aml and PluginType=True, where the system is being told to set CPU power management on CPU0 a number of times.

You might need to remove the PluginType=True CPU power management setting in the config.plist. Just use the SSDT-PLUG.aml.

Oha, genius dude!!!
Disabling PluginType=True did the job.

The boot time is a bit long right now. I attached a screenshot, from the last line it takes about 30 seconds to get to the apple logo with the loading bar under it.
Maybe you have also an idea....?

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

• IMG-5313.JPG
    IMG-5313.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 32
Ok, two things I noticed:

1. Preview with spacebar is not working for jpg files. Googled but the solutions there didnt work for me or I didnt find the right one.

2. When I disable my iGPU in bios then the boot is very fast

Possibly the framebuffer settings are clashing with something else on your system. Possibly a kext you previously installed to your /Library/Extensions folder?

Post a screenshot of the contents of your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. You need to press 'Option+Shift+4' keys all at the same time, to take a snapshot of a specific section of your display. The mouse cursor will change to a crosshair, which you can use to draw a rectangle around the portion of the screen you need to capture, i.e. the Finder window showing the kexts in your /L/E folder.

Which version of macOS are you running? Confirm the OS version name and number, i.e. Mojave 10.14.5, Catalina 10.15.4 etc.

Quick Look - The graphics function used to preview files by pressing the spacebar won't work if the IGPU is disabled. Not with the iMac 15,1 SMBIOS, as that expects the IGPU to be running with a Headless framebuffer. The system won't pass this task to the RX580 as it expects the IGPU to be available to do this work.

Possibly the framebuffer settings are clashing with something else on your system. Possibly a kext you previously installed to your /Library/Extensions folder?

Post a screenshot of the contents of your /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder. You need to press 'Option+Shift+4' keys all at the same time, to take a snapshot of a specific section of your display. The mouse cursor will change to a crosshair, which you can use to draw a rectangle around the portion of the screen you need to capture, i.e. the Finder window showing the kexts in your /L/E folder.
See attached files.
Which version of macOS are you running? Confirm the OS version name and number, i.e. Mojave 10.14.5, Catalina 10.15.4 etc.
I am running Mojave 10.14.6
Quick Look - The graphics function used to preview files by pressing the spacebar won't work if the IGPU is disabled. Not with the iMac 15,1 SMBIOS, as that expects the IGPU to be running with a Headless framebuffer. The system won't pass this task to the RX580 as it expects the IGPU to be available to do this work.
Quick Look isn't working with IGPU enabled but only jpg files don#t show up, for tiff or pdf files for example, preview is working fine.

Disableing the IGPU was only to test if this makes a difference on boot time.

Everthing else works just fine! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 19.25.57.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 19.25.57.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 19.26.26.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 19.26.26.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
This is an old problem with Quicklook, which is fixed in newer versions of macOS. So you need to add NoVPAJpeg.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, copy attached, to fix it in Mojave.

You should not be using the FakePCIID.kext or FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext for your USB ports. The EH01, EH02 and XHC USB controllers present in your Z97 motherboard are all supported by USBInjectAll.kext and can be set to work with a custom USBPorts.kext. You need to look at and follow the USB Configuration guide. Part of the guide would be the removal of these two kexts.

The remainder of the kexts in your /Library/Extensions folder are fine.

The IGPU should be enabled the Bios, but work with a Headless (Empty) framebuffer, it is how I have all my Haswell systems setup. Using the iMac 15,1 SMBIOS.

The Headless Framebuffer settings for a Haswell i7-4790K are very simple, one entry in the Device Properties section of the config.plist, with no other graphics settings required, as WhateverGreen.kext will deal with all the other settings.

Obviously this does not exclude you using the RadeonDeInit=true option, which is required for the RX 580 dGPU.

Attachments

• NoVPAJpeg.kext.zip
    9 KB · Views: 35
This is an old problem with Quicklook, which is fixed in newer versions of macOS. So you need to add NoVPAJpeg.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, copy attached, to fix it in Mojave.
Preview is now working with this kext.
You should not be using the FakePCIID.kext or FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext for your USB ports. The EH01, EH02 and XHC USB controllers present in your Z97 motherboard are all supported by USBInjectAll.kext and can be set to work with a custom USBPorts.kext. You need to look at and follow the USB Configuration guide. Part of the guide would be the removal of these two kexts.
I see, I was wondering, I think they came from my old Sierra config.
The remainder of the kexts in your /Library/Extensions folder are fine.

The IGPU should be enabled the Bios, but work with a Headless (Empty) framebuffer, it is how I have all my Haswell systems setup. Using the iMac 15,1 SMBIOS.

The Headless Framebuffer settings for a Haswell i7-4790K are very simple, one entry in the Device Properties section of the config.plist, with no other graphics settings required, as WhateverGreen.kext will deal with all the other settings.

Obviously this does not exclude you using the RadeonDeInit=true option, which is required for the RX 580 dGPU.
With all the changes we made, your slightly modified EFI is working good so far, thank you again and all others!!!

Stay save,

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back