Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace 10.13.4 kexts, H264 export will be handled by CPU, use any SMBIOS not covered by AppleGVA have same result.
wow, i have switched from 980ti to rx580 with the hope of a native support, but it does not seem easy to have a perfect driver for rx580 :(

Tried with SMBIOS route with no luck at the moment. Tried iMac Pro and the export H264 seemed to work but system was very slow and unusable. Tried iMac 14,2 and H264 export does not work.
Any suggestions?
Tnks!

Replace 10.13.4 kexts, H264 export will be handled by CPU, use any SMBIOS not covered by AppleGVA have same result.

Ok. Back from black.
For my needs I'll stay with RX580 (no Lilu, no WE, nothing in clover)+Igpu (intelgrapichsfixup.kext+platform-id 0x19120001).

PROS:
- H264 export at good speed.
- HEVC export at acceptable speed.
- So far, FCPX seems stable.
- All compute unit on (36) and OpenCl score fine (Lux 15K, Geek 140k).

CONS:
- sleep+wake-up broken.

Using High Sierra 10.13.5 and SMBIOS 18,3 (dual monitor on HDMIs only).
Waiting for better support from Apple or some beautiful idea from here.
A.

MacPro5,1 not covered by AppleGVA, export H264 OK but no GVA acceleration.

Just tested 10.14, no need disable IOGVACodec, H264 GVA encoder seems to be disabled by Apple (in some Apps). FCPX and Compressor export H264 OK, H264 to H264 Ok, H264 to HEVC OK, but 4K HEVC transcode to 1080p H264 may cause system lockup, QuickTime screen recording failed, HEVC/H264 GVA decode OK.

Wait for a better update to solve the problem of rx580 :) Meanwhile, maybe we still need to continue to work with windows :)). Follow this topic and wait for the better :)

I think I have a serious problem with my card.. everything works perfectly but FCPX is very slow.
I just run LuxMark and here's the score:
D7lsJzY.png

Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB with Lilu + WhateverGreen + swapID (from this topic) kexts.
Can someone give me a hint please? It'll be very appreciated

I had a similar problem when I used the swap-id route. As luxmark says with Swap-Id your card is not well recognized, so it does not work at full power.

I need FCPX and H264-H265 export so my configuration is now with RX580+iGpu (see post above #228 for pros and cons).
Now the system is very stable with FCPX and performance is good.
Waiting for Mojave for a better support of the RX580.
Bye.

I think I have a serious problem with my card.. everything works perfectly but FCPX is very slow.
I just run LuxMark and here's the score:
D7lsJzY.png

Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB with Lilu + WhateverGreen + swapID (from this topic) kexts.
Can someone give me a hint please? It'll be very appreciated

I use whatevergreen/lilu & connectorless igpu(like alexilgatto). Never heard of swap id.I see 36 compute units, Luxmark is 15k for RX480 only.

I had a similar problem when I used the swap-id route. As luxmark says with Swap-Id your card is not well recognized, so it does not work at full power.

I need FCPX and H264-H265 export so my configuration is now with RX580+iGpu (see post above #228 for pros and cons).
Now the system is very stable with FCPX and performance is good.
Waiting for Mojave for a better support of the RX580.
Bye.

Thank you very much, now it works much better :)
In the past I also tried to enable also the iGPU but without the platform-id fix it was worse.

Does Mojave already have better support for RX580? I might consider update to the latest public beta

I think I found a solution for the problems reported by Alexilgatto (that I had too).

Just use 0x59120003 as ig-platform-id instead of 0x19120001. It's always a connector-less solution but:
- sleep/wake works perfectly
- HEVC is hardware accelerated; by using the other ig-platform-id it was only a software acceleration (VCPHEVC) and was the reason why it was so slow - now it's using GVAHEVC

Now the boot is fast again. After spending an entire day and night in troubleshooting even with Clover (the version released yesterday have problem with boot, but it's off topic), I'm proud of myself :)

Schermata 2018-06-29 alle 19.29.12.png
Schermata 2018-06-29 alle 19.30.48.png
Schermata 2018-06-29 alle 19.33.50.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back