Graphics
GTX980
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Looking at the outstanding abilities of this card and wondering..... I wonder if the Hawaii processors will be able to be used on MacOS 10.9.3

Aren't Hawaii processors in the D500/800 series of AMD graphics cards?

Anyone else attempting this.... or am I crazy to think this card will work?

The FirePro D700 and D500 are Tahiti-based chips, and the D300 I believe is a Pitcairn-based chip.

The R9 290, 290X and 295X2 are Hawaii chips (as you said). Essentially the R9 290-series are an entire generation ahead of what is available in the Mac Pro right now.

I personally haven't tried to use any of the 200-series graphics cards in OS X, but I would assume the highest you can go right now without too many issues is a R9 280X (which is a slightly upgraded Tahiti chip). This isn't to say that it is impossible to use the 295X2. But I would expect it to be rather difficult.

The only hope for Hawaii chips is if Apple updates the iMac with a Hawaii chip... which is VERY unlikely to happen this year. And I would be willing to bet my paycheck that D-series version of the W9100 won't happen this year either.

The FirePro D700 and D500 are Tahiti-based chips, and the D300 I believe is a Pitcairn-based chip.

The R9 290, 290X and 295X2 are Hawaii chips (as you said). Essentially the R9 290-series are an entire generation ahead of what is available in the Mac Pro right now.

I personally haven't tried to use any of the 200-series graphics cards in OS X, but I would assume the highest you can go right now without too many issues is a R9 280X (which is a slightly upgraded Tahiti chip). This isn't to say that it is impossible to use the 295X2. But I would expect it to be rather difficult.

The only hope for Hawaii chips is if Apple updates the iMac with a Hawaii chip... which is VERY unlikely to happen this year. And I would be willing to bet my paycheck that D-series version of the W9100 won't happen this year either.

Hi,

With the Release of the Retina iMac with ATI M295X, is it time to revisit this topic ?

I'm guessing from web research that it's a Tonga class GPU or a cut down Hawaii.

Has anyone seen any changes in support of these chipsets in recent 10.10 builds, or support for the equivalent chipsets, being the Radeon HD7970M or HD7870 ?

Cheers,

Andelain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back