Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Radeon Pro W5500 Kernel Panic issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hvintik & @djlild7hina it might take a few weeks before I have the replacement card, but I certainly will report back on the vBios version. I do not know how to extract the vBios, but if you can guide me to instructions I will extract the vBios.

No problem appreciate it! I've gone back to using my hevc video launching on boot with the 5500xt device-id spoof/SSDT and haven't had a green screen since last time
I think you can just use GPU-Z to extract. Here are the instructions

I have received a VBIOS from AMD today. They sent me the latest one which is exactly the same as was shipped with my graphic card :( I will attach it here just in case.

Attachments

• D3250401.rom.zip
    200.7 KB · Views: 106
My W5500 is on its way to AMD to be replaced.. in the meantime I am able to use a Asus 5500XT which works fine. It is essentially the same card I guess and probably using the same driver. The 5500XT device ID is 7430 instead of 7431 for the W5500.

My W5500 is on its way to AMD to be replaced.. in the meantime I am able to use a Asus 5500XT which works fine. It is essentially the same card I guess and probably using the same driver. The 5500XT device ID is 7430 instead of 7431 for the W5500.

yeah I did a device ID spoof which helps a little bit but still get green screens. I haven't had a green screen since swapping back to my work around *knocks on wood*

yeah I did a device ID spoof which helps a little bit but still get green screens. I haven't had a green screen since swapping back to my work around *knocks on wood*
any idea if it's possible to flash vbios from rx5500xt to w5500? I assume it's the same chip?

any idea if it's possible to flash vbios from rx5500xt to w5500? I assume it's the same chip?

I have no idea but since it doesn’t have dual bios I wouldn’t try it

Maybe I found a solution.
After put the spoof content (some kind of FrameBuffer modifacation) to <DeviceProperties><Add> section in config.plist, no more black/green screen or kernel panic in two weeks. I think the trick that spoofing to W5500X makes the gpu driver more stable.
The config file are attached. The steps are below. Please backup before any operation.
Copy the <DeviceProperties><Add><PciRootXXX> section to your config.plist.
Make sure the key "PciRootXXX" matchs your gpu pci location!!! You can find your gpu pci location by tools like hackintool. See the example below (right click to get your gpu device path).
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 23.18.40.png

After modification the <DeviceProperties><Add> section should look like this:
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 22.59.38.png

After reboot, the system overview should look like this (Radeon Pro W5500X 8 GB):
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 23.33.30.png

Attachments

• W5500.plist
    3.5 KB · Views: 193
After put the spoof content (some kind of FrameBuffer modifacation) to <DeviceProperties><Add> section in config.plist, no more black/green screen or kernel panic in two weeks. I think the trick that spoofing to W5500X makes the gpu driver more stable.
The config file are attached. The steps are below. Please backup before any operation.
Copy the <DeviceProperties><Add><PciRootXXX> section to your config.plist.
Make sure the key "PciRootXXX" matchs your gpu pci location!!! You can find your gpu pci location by tools like hackintool. See the example below (right click to get your gpu device path).
View attachment 530798
After modification the <DeviceProperties><Add> section should look like this:
View attachment 530796
After reboot, the system overview should look like this (Radeon Pro W5500X 8 GB):
View attachment 530800

Awesome thanks for this! I believe I tried something similar before but was missing some device properties so maybe that's why it didn't work.

Just added it and will report back if any crashes happen

Last edited:
Thanks awesome! Thanks!

Today I have received my replacement W5500 from AMD, I will install it coming weekend. If stability issue still occur I will try your fix. I will also check my bios version and post result here.

To be honest i'm probably going to keep my current 5500XT because it is super stable and is running a lot cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back