Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

So I'm wondering on the 480 compatibility currently. I know its boot to black screen but i have an intel 4790k so I can set iGPU primary. Im wondering how stable it is currently? I mainly use my hackintosh for video editing in final cut pro and i know amd still works better in that aspect over nvidia. Im also wondering what you guys think. I have 2 280x's in my machine right now and they work quite well for editing and rendering. should I stick with those? or go for a 480? Anyone tested render times yet? Also I run windows primarily for gaming, will I have to enter bios each time and switch back to PCIE graphics each time i boot into windows? or will it recognize the 480 and offload graphics to it?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
with RX470 i'm getting 15-18 seconds with Bruce 5K Bench XML and i think with RX 480 it'll be a little bit higher(less seconds). Also the IGPU thing is very annoying and no one has researched into it till now.280X/380,380X with 2048 are almost identical to M290X,M295X-M390X,M395X except the TDP changes and Apple has them as a Mobile GPUs.

for me personally (and you should not take it as an ultimate or optimal suggestions) IGPU as a primary is very annoying to me cause i don't like mutli monitor setups at all. So i have to boot blindly now with 290X and RX 470, If the 280X doesn't require this method i'd stick with it.

with RX470 i'm getting 15-18 seconds with Bruce 5K Bench XML and i think with RX 480 it'll be a little bit higher(less seconds). Also the IGPU thing is very annoying and no one has researched into it till now.280X/380,380X with 2048 are almost identical to M290X,M295X-M390X,M395X except the TDP changes and Apple has them as a Mobile GPUs.

for me personally (and you should not take it as an ultimate or optimal suggestions) IGPU as a primary is very annoying to me cause i don't like mutli monitor setups at all. So i have to boot blindly now with 290X and RX 470, If the 280X doesn't require this method i'd stick with it.
Conveniently enough I run multi monitor exclusively, so I may even be blindly booting without even knowing it since I have 2 monitors. With that being said does that change your recommendations? I don't believe I've run the bruce 5k bench. I will download now and run it and report back.

EDIT: Just did the tests, averaged 24 seconds. Don't wanna copy equipment just look under my name :)

Last edited:
I just updated the guide to incorporate macOS Sierra changes. Most of this is still in beta / experimental state, but many people are asking about this.
I'm very confident that Apple will provide us with fully functional & stable Polaris drivers, but the old "AMD issues" (sleep/wake & boot to black screen) will be a deal breaker for many of us.

@BioSoiD: It should work by spoofing the device ID to HD 5770 ID. Details are in the first post.

@dronefriend: It never made a difference on my systems, but it's worth a try.
Late reply but thanks for your efforts of updating the list in the first post. Will update to Sierra and try the Lagotto profile!

Hope you can come to my rescue otherwise i'll have to revert back to 10.6.8 (the only other OS i can install) as my 'ATI Radeon HD4800 Series' graphics card works a treat on this OS out of the box. Having used my old iMac since 2006 this is my first and much needed hackintosh specs - i5-750, gigabyte P55M-UD4.

Under Sierra the Radeon is recognised but i only have one resolution (which sucks) and nothing is smooth. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated to get the correct drivers installed.

@jackintosh1: Which exact model is it? "HD 4800 Series" is a series of models, as the name implies. If you're unsure, look up the device ID under System Profiler -> Graphics.
Hey, thanks for replying, its an ATI Radeon HD4890

Last edited:
It should be possible to enable it by using FakeID = 0x94401002 and Inject / Ati = True. Details are in section #4 of the first post in this thread.
Hey bro, any updates regarding the IGPU thing, anyone you heard of solved it?

It should be possible to enable it by using FakeID = 0x94401002 and Inject / Ati = True. Details are in section #4 of the first post in this thread.
Hi, I've tried this but to no avail, device ID still 0x9460 in system information. I applied the changes via clover at boot, is this where i'm going wrong?

Back