Contribute
Register

Radeon 6470m / 6490m Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
SanderV3 said:
i have a output if i connect a second screen with hdmi. Laptop screen is black... :(
I think that is normal for the card on os x there's a few people that have that experience but we can't get that far due to the difference in how the amd gpu is incorporated into our machine, I believe yours may be slightly different.
What methods did you use to get it working?

I tried -x cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No/Yes (both) busratio=22 .

:( :( :( :( So is there any way to make my ATI 6490M work? why don't create a package like Hp proboook installer for most of user like me? I read, and i can't understand anything.

If it worked then it would have been incorporated into the installer

I think I am 1 step closer! I have managed to get my 6470m card to show in system profile with a vga connection although it does not output anything onto the monitor.

I downloaded the bios updater from hp support and let the program run until it asked if I wanted to update the bios via the exe program or create a usb disk, at this point it has unpacked all the data from the bios update into a folder c:/SWSetup/SP54862 including the rom.bin.
I downloaded and run phoenixtool (bios extractor) and selected the rom.bin file to be extracted. Phoenixtool created a bios dump folder from this rom.bin file which contains 1003 bios .rom files and I used hex edit to look at the files and found 4 which contained the words ATI.
I placed each of these files in turn in extra and renamed them 1002_6760_167d103c.rom and by process of elimination I found 1 which allowed my machine to boot.

Narrowing the list:
As I stated earlier there are 1003 files in the dump folder and would take several hours to eliminate the other 999 files by viewing them individually (though I did start doing that! :crazy: ) Arrange your files by size and select the files sized between 50 - 80kb (roughly 15 files) and right click> open with> Hex edit and eliminate the ones without amd or ati somewhere in the 1st 10 or so lines, I'm guessing you will be left with 4 like I was.

Place these rom files in extra and rename them as I have one at a time and boot with:
Code:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtiROM=Yes AtiConfig=Ipomoea -v

The incorrect rom files will get 3/4 of the way through booting, mine happened to be the 2nd largest file, yours may be different depending on your card being 1gb ram and/or different bios version.
Mine is 512ram bios f20 and i'll attach the rom to the post shortly.

I'm hoping maybe someone can take the torch and maybe piece this and other previous posts like adding lines to the dsdt (page 3 I think) and make this thing work?

Why did I choose Ipomoea??? Well simple, there's only 2 framebuffers which made my card show up with vga in system profile and that's 1 of them!

Attachments

• 6470.tiff
    107.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 6470m.tiff
    359.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 1002_6760_167d103c.rom.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 165
Dewitts said:
I think I am 1 step closer! I have managed to get my 6470m card to show in system profile with a vga connection although it does not output anything onto the monitor.

I downloaded the bios updater from hp support and let the program run until it asked if I wanted to update the bios via the exe program or create a usb disk, at this point it has unpacked all the data from the bios update into a folder c:/SWSetup/SP54862 including the rom.bin.
I downloaded and run phoenixtool (bios extractor) and selected the rom.bin file to be extracted. Phoenixtool created a bios dump folder from this rom.bin file which contains 1003 bios .rom files and I used hex edit to look at the files and found 4 which contained the words ATI.
I placed each of these files in turn in extra and renamed them 1002_6760_167d103c.rom and by process of elimination I found 1 which allowed my machine to boot.

Narrowing the list:
As I stated earlier there are 1003 files in the dump folder and would take several hours to eliminate the other 999 files by viewing them individually (though I did start doing that! :crazy: ) Arrange your files by size and select the files sized between 50 - 80kb (roughly 15 files) and right click> open with> Hex edit and eliminate the ones without amd or ati somewhere in the 1st 10 or so lines, I'm guessing you will be left with 4 like I was.

Place these rom files in extra and rename them as I have one at a time and boot with:
Code:

The incorrect rom files will get 3/4 of the way through booting, mine happened to be the 2nd largest file, yours may be different depending on your card being 1gb ram and/or different bios version.

I'm hoping maybe someone can take the torch and maybe piece this and other previous posts like adding lines to the dsdt (page 3 I think) and make this thing work?

Why did I choose Ipomoea??? Well simple, there's only 2 framebuffers which made my card show up with vga in system profile and that's 1 of them!

Hello Dewitts, after many trials, the only real sign of life of the discrete videocard was possible with a bios Unlocked. Only once I managed to disable the HD3000, but OSX has booted with black screen , but with backlight!
Then you reset the CMOS by itself
Sign that ATI was there ready, but the display is not attached.
I spent last week in mod my bios with Phoenixtool202.exe but InsydeH20 bios is encrypted (RSA signed). These bios are difficult to hack,

But now I'm sure: unlocked bios = Discrete video card work!

In my hacked bios with Unlocked menus there are many configurations for video card:

Disable/Enable internal graphics/Discrete
Disable/Enable Futures Swiching video card (but with the ability to activate one or the other with battery or AC adapter etc.

Other things are secondary, also the video rom

Attached your rom decoded (with Radeon_bis_decode) without usefully data, while the iMac produces the output connectors of the Framebuffer.
You can find the connectors of the frame buffer (Hydrilla Duckweed, Gibba etc.) on another Modules of bios.....our Rom, seems to be not useful

Attachments

• Dewitts connectoroutput.txt.zip
    338 bytes · Views: 130
  • Rom iMac connectoroutput.txt.zip
    590 bytes · Views: 124
Micky1979 said:
I spent last week in mod my bios with Phoenixtool202.exe but InsydeH20 bios is encrypted (RSA signed). These bios are difficult to hack,

In my hacked bios with Unlocked menus there are many configurations for video card:

Disable/Enable Futures Swiching video card (but with the ability to activate one or the other with battery or AC adapter etc.
Can you please provide more details?

- what BIOS version?
- what's the name of rom file with unlocked menus
- any difficulties flashing?
- any errors on boot?

I would love to see wifi whitelist removed from our BIOS.
Thanks.

BigDonkey said:
Micky1979 said:

Can you please provide more details?

- what BIOS version?
- what's the name of rom file with unlocked menus
- any difficulties flashing?
- any errors on boot?

I would love to see wifi whitelist removed from our BIOS.
Thanks.

For my bios no error at boot, but RSA signed bios reset CMOS when saving settings.
There are two keys (which no one has found) in Insyde Flash Utility (RSA version), but also in CMOS. By extracting the bios directly from the chip (with a dedicated program), the bios is fully decrypted, then the problem is not flash, but the signature check on it!

I assume you have bios F20 (sp54862), I've attached "module whitelist" in your bios.

Unbelievable, but your bios is not encrypted!
seems should be more easier to hack, no RSA signed=no CMOS reset=no semibrick
...... if you are able to do the recovery procedure with a usb key, maybe you can do all the tests you want, you can read the wifi id and subsys well, id flipped in hex. Simply replace one or more, replacing id is much less invasive (with a part number easier to buy).
How to know the new id? turn on your laptop and then stops booting, insert new wifi card, and then proceed with the boot, lspci et voilà!

Now I'm at work (it's morning here), tonight I try to give more information

Attachments

• BC6F4AC5-F86D-4C4A-8BA2-7645994EC631_2_568.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 111
Thanks Micky1979

I know that couple people have tried to flash our BIOS with removed whitelist and failed.
Maybe approach that you suggest: changing id for a single card will be much better.
I still have couple cards laying around ready for testing.
I've never done any BIOS dissembling/assembling so any info on correct options will be much appreciated.
I also don't want to hijack this thread. Please post any suggestions to our original whitelist topic:
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=54151

Micky1979 said:
Dewitts said:

Narrowing the list:

Code:

Hello Dewitts, after many trials, the only real sign of life of the discrete videocard was possible with a bios Unlocked. Only once I managed to disable the HD3000, but OSX has booted with black screen , but with backlight!
Then you reset the CMOS by itself
Sign that ATI was there ready, but the display is not attached.

Other things are secondary, also the video rom

Attached your rom decoded (with Radeon_bis_decode) without usefully data, while the iMac produces the output connectors of the Framebuffer.
You can find the connectors of the frame buffer (Hydrilla Duckweed, Gibba etc.) on another Modules of bios.....our Rom, seems to be not useful

Hi Micky, I remember reading that people that got the 6470m to work reported they had black lvds but working vga and hdmi, I'm not sure if this was ever solved see this: (remove the _) http://www.insanelymac_.com/forum/index ... 53557&st=0
I'm not sure hacking our bios is possible as it says "once you install this bios you will not be able to downgrade to another version" i'm a little worried it may become faulty if we try it.
I'd love to do it if it's possible but I also don't want to end up with a hp proBRICK lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back