Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Now I know this is mainly a hackintosh forum but I have seen posts about actual macs on here too.

Basically I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with a R9 390 in there, I bought the machine to use for gaming in Windows, as well as audio and video production on Mac. I have an Asus Strix R9 390 in the machine to drive my 4K Samsung monitor and gaming, 3D, etc.

Now as standard the card isn't detected at all so I have to boot in with a flashed 8800 GT I have, I tried editting the .kext files:

AMD8000Controller.kext
AMDRadeonX4000.kext

By adding the R9 290 ID's I got the card displaying an image with the known flickering issues, I mean it's really bad and unusable so only half a fix, however it renders in 4K and is detected so that's half the step.

Now from hackintosh builds using the card they say you have to inject the frame buffer or something using clover, however as it's an actual Mac it's not running clover.

So can anyone help me get this working, possibly editting the same files as Clover does?

i would really appricate help with this as I've searched and searched but can't find any concrete answers.

Thanks.

P.S. The card works perfectly in Windows even under full gaming load for hours so there's no card or power issue.

Not a Desktop Guide - Moved to Desktop Support.

The Hawaii cards have known buggy OS X drivers. Driver support has improved a little in the latest 10.11.5 update, there may be further updates for these cards for the new Apple models due out in the summer. If you have a spare drive I would test using the latest 10.11.6 Beta to see if there is any improvement.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-capitan-beta-to-public-beta-testers.1974213/

Beta information is under strict Non Disclosure Agreement terms (NDA) that you must sign up for.

The following thread covers all AMD GPU hardware information on hacks - but basic driver support in OS X will work on a genuine Mac Pro as it will on a hack. Comments are in chronological order, to see the latest go to the end of the thread. Some of these may contain information on similar graphics hardware.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back