Contribute
Register

R9 280X problems (sapphire and asus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was given a Sapphire Radeon R9 280x 3G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DV-I+SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DUAL MINI DP (UEFI).
Is there any way to make it work without re-install?

You *should* be able to make it work without a reinstall. I'd go Clover rather than MultiBeast. I found Clover far more reliable.
-reboot = no video signal on any video output but IGFX, no GPU but IGFX in system report

What do you mean by system report?

-in BIOS set Initial Display Output to PCIe 1 = no signal on any video output but IGFX, just IGFX in system report
-in BIOS set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled = no video signal at all = CMOS reset..

I assume you have put the graphics card into PCI slot 1?

It would be useful to know your motherboard as well, also how are you connecting the monitor to the 280X? DVI is probably the best way for the first go. More information would be helpful.

However if you cannot see the BIOS output, either you have not connected the monitor properly or your card is knackered.

Rob

Thanks for such a prompt reply, thats great that this forum lives like this!!!

Does it mean that when GPU is installed on the motherboard (PCIe 1 slot, and seems to be properly powered as its lcd lights shine), it shows itself in system profile under Graphics/Monitors even without any BIOS changes? As in BIOS i have set IGFX as default video output..

Thank you

Does it mean that when GPU is installed on the motherboard (PCIe 1 slot, and seems to be properly powered as its lcd lights shine), it shows itself in system profile under Graphics/Monitors even without any BIOS changes? As in BIOS i have set IGFX as default video output..
Thank you

We seem to have two different statements here.

My understanding is that the 280X wasn't working at all and that you can't get any output from the 280X, hence my comment, what output port is it plugged into.

If it is plugged into slot 1 (though it makes little difference which slot it is in for getting it too work) AND you have plugged the additional power connectors into the 280X board (the PCI slot does not have enough power to drive the GPU on its own, it needs the two (?) additional power connectors as well) AND you have lights on, then it SHOULD be working.

If you leave the Internal Graphics enabled AND connect the monitor via either DVI or HDMI to the Internal Graphics Video connector AND you can boot OS X then you SHOULD see the 280X in the System Information.

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.38.54.png

this is the detailed information

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 10.40.14.png

Since you have still not told us what motherboard you have and how you are connecting the monitor it is difficult to answer anything else. You need to provide more information.

Rob

You *should* be able to make it work without a reinstall. All go Clover rather than Multicast. I found Clover far more reliable.

It would be useful to know your motherboard as well, also how are you connecting the monitor to the 280X? DVI is probably the best way for the first go. More information would be helpful.

However if you cannot see the BIOS output, either you have not connected the monitor properly or your card is knackered.

Rob

I have been trying to use Clover for 4 days, but was not able to run any sound neither integrated nor my USB Apogee Duet 2 sound card, had troubles with VRAM of my IGFX (only 8MB), even my RAM speed was incorrect in system profile, lots of hassle, tried Yosemite with the same result.

Then MultiBeast came out and my install of El Capitan with UniBeast MultiBeast 8 went like a charm with internal and external audio working. As I would like to use this machine for audio work mainly, I decided to proceed install just with integrated GPU, but was given this R9 280X GPU later so decided to give it a try..

under OSX About this Mac/System report/Hardware/Graphics and Displays i see just my IGFX Intel HD 4600 connected to my Dell 2412 via HDMI

correct

MOBO GA Z97X Gaming 5
CPU 4790K
RAM ADATA 2GB (for testing, still waiting for Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB to arrive)

I have been trying to use Clover for 4 days, but was not able to run any sound neither integrated nor my USB Apogee Duet 2USB Apogee Duet 2 sound card, had troubles with VRAM of my IGFX (only 8MB), even my RAM speed was incorrect in system profile, lots of hassle, tried Yosemite with the same result.

Then MultiBeast came out and my install of El Capitan with UniBeast MultiBeast 8 went like a charm with internal and external audio working. As I would like to use this machine for audio work mainly, I decided to proceed install just with integrated GPU, but was given this R9 280X GPU later so decided to give it a try..

under OSX About this Mac/System report/Hardware/Graphics and Displays i see just my IGFX Intel HD 4600 connected to my Dell 2412 via HDMI

correct

MOBO GA Z97X Gaming 5
CPU 4790K
RAM ADATA 2GB (for testing, still waiting for Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB to arrive)

I have the Gigabyte Z97X UD5H and Clover simply installed with zero issues. My knowledge of Clover is less than yours, I simply followed the instructions and installed it. I had a lot of freezes with Multibeast and most people I know with Gigabyte Z97X boards had the same problem. Clover seems to work very well.

So you are looking at the same report I am which is good.

1. I use an external USB sound card, an old iRig as I recall. Just works and never needed to configure it. I do not use the internal sound card as its rubbish anyway. Have you checked that other people have the
USB Apogee Duet 2 working on this site?

2. I would check that people have got Clover working with your board. Clover is far more reliable than Multibeast. Your board is not that different to mine so would expect it to work.

Here are the complete list of BIOS settings I have on my Z97X UD5H, its probably worth checking my list against yours.

3. 2GB of RAM is pretty low. I'm surprised things even work. This *may* or may not be something to do with it.

I'm a little surprised that the 280X isn't recognised as I did nothing special to get it working. Check your BIOS and see if thats got any oddities in it.

If you connect the monitor up to the 280X can you see the BIOS in the monitor. If you can't that may indicate a problem. I have no idea if HDMI is an issue as I only use DVI.

Rob

1. I use an external USB sound card, an old iRig as I recall. Just works and never needed to configure it. I do not use the internal sound card as its rubbish anyway. Have you checked that other people have the
USB Apogee Duet 2 working on this site?

I did check that, some have issues with powering, some with no audio after sleep..
Since reinstall with MultiBeast my Duet 2 works well.

2. I would check that people have got Clover working with your board. Clover is far more reliable than Multibeast. Your board is not that different to mine so would expect it to work.

Here are the complete list of BIOS settings I have on my Z97X UD5H, its probably worth checking my list against yours.

When I choose my next GPU, Clover will be the way I want to go..

Will You please let me see your BIOS settings? Thanks

3. 2GB of RAM is pretty low. I'm surprised things even work. This *may* or may not be something to do with it.

My Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32 GB allready installed.:headbang:

I'm a little surprised that the 280X isn't recognised as I did nothing special to get it working. Check your BIOS and see if thats got any oddities in it.

280X checked on another system - not working either..
Im at point of choosing my GPU again.

Any suggestions?

GR80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back