Contribute
Register

Quiet PSU Question Wattage & Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming GT
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
GTX 970
Hello everyone,

I am wondering whether 650W is large enough for a non-overclocked i7 4790K which shall be air cooled (CPU with the Arctic Freezer i30 and then case fans) and a GTX 970?

Would 550W be sufficient?

I have in mind a Seasonic X series but I have read of a few cases where coil whine or other noise was an issue. It still gets high ratings when they are good. Does Tonymacx recommend them? Opinions, advice or recommendations are welcome.

Thank you

You could run the system on a 550W Seasonic but I would opt for the 650W model if the
price is in the same range. All of the many Seasonic models I've used have never had any
coil whine and I've never heard them above a case or CPU fan so that shouldn't be an issue.
If you ever add another 970 then you'd certainly need a 650W or higher PSU. Put all of your
hardware into a good online PSU calculator to be sure.

I'll just throw this out here. I read that the standards for Gold certification changed and that some PSU's began exhibiting such problems when they were adjusted to meet the new conditions. People with prior versions would not have experienced them while buying a new one might increase the odds. This makes it difficult to determine if any are more vulnerable while others are more resistant. I will have to take the risk.

I'll just throw this out here. I read that the standards for Gold certification changed and that some PSU's began exhibiting such problems when they were adjusted to meet the new conditions. People with prior versions would not have experienced them while buying a new one might increase the odds. This makes it difficult to determine if any are more vulnerable while others are more resistant. I will have to take the risk.
Go with a corsair 600W CX series, it comes in non modular and modular, it's a nice power supply, lasted me almost 2 years so far in my work build, you can also go for a 550w version or at least I think it's 550, might be 500, not sure, anyway.. cx series is not bad and very quiet too.

Thank you.

I have been thinking about the Seasonic X750 and either the Corsair RM650 or RM750.

Anything come to mind that would be helpful in making the choice?

I have read of a flaw corrected after a certain build number to avoid.

(I know 750 is extra power).

Thank you in advance for any further assistance.

I ran the pieces through 5 calculators and all but one placed my build in the 400W range and the odd one 500W. I am looking at larger PSU's because of the price and features not because I think I need the power.

The longer warranties are only available in the larger sizes. The logic here is that I expect something backed by a long warranty to be better quality.

I have spent hours over the last few days looking for information.

It appears that the new standards are leading to a lot of problems. I cannot find a brand and model that is not plagued by problems. I would pay quite a bit more if there was a clear product that could deliver what it promises.

Even 10-year warranted Platinum fanless PSU's are showing up with noises.

I'd like to find something classified as a first tier product. The Corsair RM series is second tier. Seasonic is supposed to be one of the best brands and a first tier product but they are now receiving so many reports of faulty products that I do not think it is worth rolling the dice.

(I am seeking a silent-to-quiet and reliable PSU)

Tier List Info

I'd say 550W is totally enough.
Components are becoming less power hungry so no worries on that side.
I can recommend the Corsair RM550, so far I never heard it. When idle the fan is off and to be honest I never heard it even when being under heavy load.

If noise is a issue then first take a look at aftermarket coolers for the gpu – noisiest part in a system anyway.
Fans should run at <600rpm (idle) and about 700-1000rpm under heavy load depending on your fans, case-size and cpu cooler.
Just get the biggest cooler that fits in your case and think about how to optimize airflow.

Good luck.

The most quiet is Corsair RM series, but I was read it several bad opinions. The RM650 or 750's duration is between 4 mounth and 1 year, and then doesn't work.

I recommend the Seasonic SemiFanless series. I want Seasonic Semifanless P760 Platinum for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back