Contribute
Register

Quick question about buying a GFX card....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a GA-H55-USB3 board and it has an LGA 1156 socket. I have an Intel core i3 processor with built in gfx but apparently the built in gfx don't support lion. So instead of spending an extra $100 on an i5 with an 1156, will this card, (http://www.frys.com/product/6588333?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG)
bypass the intel gfx and run lion? so I can just use the processor part of it?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with that processor but I can tell you that is probably the better option as Intel processors can come with HD2000 or HD3000 graphics and only HD3000 is supported.

Judah said:
Thats not a bad route. What kind of things do you do with your hack, because even light gaming will be no fun on that card. Might I suggest the EVGA GTS450 FPB? I got mine for $80 refurbished on Amazon and it was recognized out of box!

If all you do is watch movies you'll be fine with that card!

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm going to be doing a lot of music production with Logic. Maybe a little movie production as well. any recommendations for that?

My XFX 9800 GTX+ Black edition worked oob and it was about $50 on ebay. This was the top of the line nvidia card 3 years ago so it's pretty cheap now. It's great for casual gaming or whatever else I use. I haven't tried multiple monitors though. My mobo didn't have a vga/dvi out so I got this card and it's great. Usually gets ~20 fps in cinebench, too.

SUCCESS! Lion booted and my new Radeon HD5770 works like a dream. Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back