Contribute
Register

Questions regarding TB and Apple Studio Display

Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Hi there,

I am considering building myself an absolute beast of a Hackintosh. Partly because I like the idea of getting the absolute best hardware for my money, but also because I miss the journey of building PC's :)

I have been completely out of the Hackintosh game, as I wen't "Mac native" with a Macbook Air M1 (amazing machine), and an Macbook Pro M1 (also an amazing machine).

The machine I am looking to build is supposed to use the Asus ProArt z790 board, and my idea was to get a Radeon RX 6600 card, and pipe it through to the thunderbolt port on the motherboard using a display port cable, and then a thunderbolt cable to my Apple Studio Display from the motherboard. I read somewhere that I might have to use both DP-in ports on the motherboard, but not sure if that's the case or not.

Has anyone done this? Will it work on Mac OS?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Casper

Why not spend a little bit more money on a Mac Studio and call it a day? If you are willing to spend the extra dough on an Apple Studio Display, might as well go full Apple.

Specifically, Maple Ridge Thunderbolt is unreliable in hacks and even our ever-patient Thunderbolt expert @CaseySJ declines to help with Thunderbolt display.
Either go full Apple, or stick to Display Port with hackintoshes.

and then a thunderbolt cable to my Apple Studio Display from the motherboard.
If you've already got this display, it makes much more sense to get a higher end mini or a Mac Studio. I would avoid going with Z790 at this point in time. As most people know, it's far away from having native support in macOS. People "make" it work by using OC and a few tricks but long term support just won't be there. You'd possibly be stuck with Sonoma for the lifetime of this hackintosh build.

I tend to agree with the replies above, namely:
  • Thunderbolt monitors have always been problematic on Hackintosh if we want to make use of not only the display, but also the USB hub, camera, speakers and other devices built into the display
  • 5K Thunderbolt monitors are even fussier because a true 5K output requires use of two GPU-outputs connected to two DP-Inputs on a motherboard or add-in-card that even supports two DP-Inputs
  • Thunderbolt monitors may not display an image in BIOS or may not wake properly from sleep and may require use of ghost plugs if multiple monitors are connected
Apple Studio Display is a nice monitor, but I would keep expectations very low if connecting it to a Hackintosh.

If you are able to make it work reliably, we would highly encourage you to post your setup/configuration and a list of which features work reliably and which ones do not.

I am using the LG 5K Ultrafine and the Camera, Microphone and Speakers work. However if the machine goes to sleep I loose the USB functionality (Mic, Cam & Speakers) but the monitor still works fine. When machine is rebooted the functionality returns to normal.

if the machine goes to sleep I loose the USB functionality (Mic, Cam & Speakers)
  • 5K Thunderbolt monitors are even fussier because a true 5K output requires use of two GPU-outputs connected to two DP-Inputs on a motherboard or add-in-card that even supports two DP-Inputs
  • Thunderbolt monitors may not display an image in BIOS or may not wake properly from sleep and may require use of ghost plugs if multiple monitors are connected

BIOS Post and bios settings work with the monitor probably should also work on the 5K studio display from apple but if it doesnt you can always return it within 14 days

If you are able to make it work reliably, we would highly encourage you to post your setup/configuration and a list of which features work reliably and which ones do not.
See Below:
Hi there,

I am considering building myself an absolute beast of a Hackintosh. Partly because I like the idea of getting the absolute best hardware for my money, but also because I miss the journey of building PC's :)

I have been completely out of the Hackintosh game, as I wen't "Mac native" with a Macbook Air M1 (amazing machine), and an Macbook Pro M1 (also an amazing machine).

The machine I am looking to build is supposed to use the Asus ProArt z790 board, and my idea was to get a Radeon RX 6600 card, and pipe it through to the thunderbolt port on the motherboard using a display port cable, and then a thunderbolt cable to my Apple Studio Display from the motherboard. I read somewhere that I might have to use both DP-in ports on the motherboard, but not sure if that's the case or not.

Has anyone done this? Will it work on Mac OS?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Casper
While I might be a bit late to the party at this point.... My Hack is retired but it is z370 with Titian Ridge V1 and CaseySJ z390 modified firmware NVM33 and a 3-5 jumper to force power. The studio display at first only worked after boot and repluging the display. However, after a few months I got annoyed with all the replugging and set out to fix it. First I tried to use the belkin vr cable for Huawei VR headset it worked but I was not content with that. Randomly one day I decided to hook up the USB2.0 cable from the card to the header and lo and behold that fixed it the screen turned on 98% of the time. About once a month I had to reboot to get the display to turn back on.. So to answer your question you can make it work however, your milage may very depending on your config. I did not have both DP connected to the TB card only one. I have said it in many places on this forum for TB3 NVM33 modified firmware is the best one to use at least if you have a Titan Ridge V1. However, as everyone is suggesting getting a Mac Studio is likely the best thing for you since you already have a M1 MacBook better to just go full real Mac.

P.S. the Speakers, Mic, USB, and Camera worked without an issue even when I had to replug the monitor. I can not remember if they worked with the Belkin cable.

Back