7. Plus
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
  11. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

First, before I go any further, I'd like to congratulate tonymac's x86 Ivy Bridge effort and tools! Thank you for condensing this down and making it easy to get to Lion and Mountain Lion functionality on this hardware! But, that having been said, I prefer to run 10.6.8 and…

I'm working on getting an Ivy Bridge processor >booting< from a hard disk and 10.6.8 hackintosh MSI Z77A-G41 and am a bit confused by why it would be impossible using the 10.8 hacked kernel? Is this site supporting such an effort or should I go elsewhere to discuss how to do this? I am assuming that since you solved the problem of getting 10.6.8 installed that the slinga11's hacked kernel WILL work if the right things are tweaked in the bootloader sequence and a preboot image is used. If I'm wrong about that can someone explain >technically< why, other than that it isn't a good idea? Again, is this the right website/forum to ask for these sorts of answers? And, does anyone know if someone has solved this/there is a cookbook example on how to go about doing this?

I also have some other questions around Easybeast, etc, and installing Chimera 1.11.1 instead of 1.7.3…but I'll try to take those to another discussion group here soon. (And, with the Ivy Bridge Boot CD/Multibeast solution I do have sound…although not sure why as I simply checked the HDA and a couple of the kexts that I thought applied and 'et voila', it's working!)

Now, back to experimenting with Chameleon and bootloaders until I hear from someone with some concrete reason as to why it is actually impossible…cuz I like bashing my head into a wall. I'm starting here and working my way forward in time: http://osxdaily.com/2007/01/22/what-happens-in-the-mac-os-x-boot-process/ (and hopefully there haven't been significant changes to that sequence between then and now with the 10.8 kernel…aside from the supposed driver support issue that seems not to hamper the use of a CD…)

All the best,
Timbo

If you prefer to run OS X 10.6.8 then get a Sandy Bridge (with limited support) or an older system that is fully supported (LGA 1156 or LGA 1366).

Trying to make new hardware work with old software is a lesson in futility and strongly discouraged.

I wish I had less free time…but since I do…is it possible or not? I'm not interested in what's better, just whether or not it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back