Z77MX-D3H-TH
CPU
i7 3770k @4.6mhz
Graphics
r9 280x
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello,
I am a happy user of hackintosh for many years aswell as a Apple MBP owner (2016 15" 1TB macbook pro)

My use is 90% video editing on FCPX; long documentaries; or short clips ; lots of titles subtitles etc... The hackintosh is doing great for HD but, it needs transcoding 4k footage to work very smoothly ... The newer macbook pro is a beast with FCPX, going through 4k like it's nothing and exporting so fast.

So I am considering upgrading my desktop... Maybe an i7 8700k when it becomes available... But I have one question :

- Do we still have to disable the iGPU to use a dedicated GPU ? Or can they now work both together?

From my experience, FCPX is performing so great because it uses all the power from the intel graphics chips with instructions like Quicksync, realtime encoding and decoding h264 and h265 etc, while using the eGPU with openGL for rendering graphics, color effects etc. That's why hackintoshes with AMD cards are so great at BruceX test but are slower than 2016 macbook pros on real world for exports etc.

- How is eGPU working now on Hackintosh ? I know thunderbolt + hackintosh = no hot plug, but if Gigabyte is kind enough to release a mATX motherboard for i7 8700k with Thunderbolt3 , there might be a way to use iGPU and powerfull AMD gpu on a hackintosh !!

It is possible via shiki, nvdiagraphicsfixup and lilu kext, I get quicksync in QuickTime and other places haven’t tested fcp

- How is eGPU working now on Hackintosh ? I know thunderbolt + hackintosh = no hot plug, but if Gigabyte is kind enough to release a mATX motherboard for i7 8700k with Thunderbolt3 , there might be a way to use iGPU and powerfull AMD gpu on a hackintosh !!
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ and read the info after the GPU comparison tables. R9 280/280X last fully compatible AMD GPU. Newer ones require some work to get 100% out of them.

*up*

It is possible via shiki, nvdiagraphicsfixup and lilu kext, I get quicksync in QuickTime and other places haven’t tested fcp

Anyone know about someone who has successfully managed to get an AMD graphic cards working with Quicksync on FCPX ?

Yes. I have such a system. Search for
Fixes to Get Full Hardware GPU Acceleration using Intel HD Graphics with AMD RX480 on SMBIOS iMac 17,1 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.0 Z 28-10-2017
First draft.

On this site

thanks for your reply.
Do you use your computer for video editing ? I would be interested to see some performance tests : For example, put a full FCPX project on an external SSD and do some exports in different resolutions. Write down the times and compare this with a macbook pro or imac.
best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back